Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm loving the opposite field power. I would venture to guess he has the most balanced spray chart on the team.

Last night’s announcers talked about the Jays’ shifting on Henderson even though he hits a lot of line drives to the opposite field. I wonder what scouting they’re using for those shifts because he doesn’t appear to be especially pull happy. 

3 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Last night’s announcers talked about the Jays’ shifting on Henderson even though he hits a lot of line drives to the opposite field. I wonder what scouting they’re using for those shifts because he doesn’t appear to be especially pull happy. 

The Blue Jays have had some issues with running the shift this season.

Yes, Gunnar can beat you in several ways, not the least of which is the cannon arm, as straight as an arrow on the money.    He had an off game today, meaning he went hitless,  but managed to reach base twice, which most would call a good game.  I was surprised by his running speed, which for a man that size, surprised me.   Orioles need to figure out how to protect both Gunnar and Adley in the batting order, so pitchers do not walk them so much, esp. Adley.   Because despite the vast improvement in the Pitching from last year,  and more needed for 2023, they do need more offense.  

28 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

With two outs today, one of the best closers in baseball decided to intentionally walk Gunnar to instead face Aguilar, who had hit a homer earlier in the game and then proceeded to drive in a run. That's some respect for a 21-year-old.

Conspiracy theory, but did they put Aguilar behind him to make sure he gets enough walks to preserve his rookie status?

Would like to see a lineup of:

Mullins CF
Adley C
Gunnar 3B
Santander DH
Mountcastle 1B
Vavra LF
Urias 2B
Stowers RF
Mateo SS

Against righties moving forward. Maybe replace Urias with Hays and move Vavra to 2B if better OF defense is what the matchup calls for.

I'd also call up Jordan Westburg and replace Urias with him at 2B, I think the offense would have been much better over the past few weeks with Westburg than one of the worst regular players in baseball (Odor) getting starts. I think going all-in for a Wild Card is more important than a 40-man spot. But I don't think Elias will make the right move and bring up Westburg.

Edited by Brooks The Great

47 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

With two outs today, one of the best closers in baseball decided to intentionally walk Gunnar to instead face Aguilar, who had hit a homer earlier in the game and then proceeded to drive in a run. That's some respect for a 21-year-old.

I see where you’re coming from, but even though Aguilar homered earlier, it was still a no brained move.  Henderson has been very good, Aguilar is lucky to be in the league. 

21 years old or not, it doesn’t make much of a difference. It was the right move and it backfired. The odds of Aguilar having the game he had today were minuscule. 

But that’s one of the great things about baseball. Any given day, the worst guy on the roster can put the team on his back. 

• Upvote 1