Shayne Fontana 2022

Frobby

3 minutes ago, JustLearning said:

They moved Harris and Dorrian to Bowie then back to Norfolk. Watson is back, Welk should be back by end of month, as should Fontana. Come July, Bowie should be back to decent outfielders, unless Haskin is promoted. He hasn't played all week.

Do you know why Fontana is out?

47 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I believe a wrist sprain, stemming from his last game. He finished the inning but they replaced him for the remainder of the game and he's been out ever since. I posted a link earlier in this feed showing a catch he made and at the end of it, he was shaking his wrist. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 7:31 PM, JustLearning said:

I believe a wrist sprain, stemming from his last game. He finished the inning but they replaced him for the remainder of the game and he's been out ever since. I posted a link earlier in this feed showing a catch he made and at the end of it, he was shaking his wrist. 

On 6/12/2022 at 6:41 PM, RZNJ said:

Fontana ended up being out for a left wrist fracture. Because they brought up Cowser, he's going to remain in Aberdeen on a rehab assignment for another week. We'll see next weekend what happens. I would think they would move Cesepedes to make room on the roster.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, owknows said:

Seems to be doing pretty well in Bowie.

Quietly up to .891 OPS

He's gonna raise a few eyebrows if he keeps this up.

.794 in 5 games at Bowie after completing a rehab stint.  It’s really a shame he got hurt.   It will be interesting to see if he can continue putting up good numbers the rest of the way.  He might have been promoted to Norfolk by now if he’d kept hitting as he was before the injury.  

14 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

He's old for a prospect, but seems worthy of a top 30 spot to me (assuming health, continued production). He currently has a .901 OPS in Bowie.

Harris looked pretty good at AA and has really struggled at Norfolk.  Fontana is a good story but he whiffs a lot.  I think he'll need to do close to what he's doing now at AAA to be a top 30 prospect. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Harris looked pretty good at AA and has really struggled at Norfolk.  Fontana is a good story but he whiffs a lot.  I think he'll need to do close to what he's doing now at AAA to be a top 30 prospect. 

For this year, 55 k's in 49 games. But 30 walks too. He has a .123 spread in batting average and OBP. That's interesting to say the least.

If the reports in this thread that he's pretty fast and may be a decent CF, he's interesting. But they need him healthy to prove it.

13 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

For this year, 55 k's in 49 games. But 30 walks too. He has a .123 spread in batting average and OBP. That's interesting to say the least.

If the reports in this thread that he's pretty fast and may be a decent CF, he's interesting. But they need him healthy to prove it.

I didn't say he wasn't talented. I think he's got a well rounded skillset.  But the fact is that he's 25 and it gets tougher at the next level.  It's tough to say he's a top 30 guy without seeing him produce in AAA.  Neustrom could probably go down to AA and put up huge numbers but he's essentially a non prospect in AAA.

Fontana is intriguing enough for me to add him to the "Bubble players" for the Top 3. He's a bit old at this point but he may be a late bloomer. He's built well, runs well, and is a good defensive outfielder from what's I've seen though I'll need to go back and look at my notes on his arm. 

It's interesting to see him get moved to AAA so quickly which looks a little like the sink or swim moment for him at 25-years old. They did the same thing with 25-year old Dylan Harris and AAA pitching was just too much for him.

To me though, Fontana brings more tools to field than Harris does but we'll see how he does in AAA where I expect he will be a priority play in the outfield.

• Thanks 1