Angelos Family Fued

Going Underground

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

People still read Deadspin?

Only idiots. 

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Really says nothing.   Points out how bad the team is, how attendance is low, and how the payroll is low.   And somehow that is proof that the team "can't succeed" in Baltimore's small market and has to move.

That is prove we have had incompetent and at times cheap management.   There might be a short lived attendance boost in a new market but if the team continues to lose it would be short lived.

It's a superficial analysis.   Hell, it didn't even try to bring up the state of, and perception of, the city of Baltimore, which is something that could actually hinder attendance.   That might actually have been a valid point to make.   Instead, the article just basically said the team sucks, they aren't spending money, and fans aren't coming out, so they will probably move.

Looks like something I may have written in the 6th grade. 

Georgia and John like to maintain the myth that Peter' "avoided the constant threat of relocation" when he bought the team two years into a thirty year lease.   C'mon, man.😎   Once Peter meets his maker, they will be quickly scrambling to find a local ownership group.

Note to Louis, rule #1, never sue your mother.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Georgia and John like to maintain the myth that Peter' "avoided the constant threat of relocation" when he bought the team two years into a thirty year lease.   C'mon, man.😎   Once Peter meets his maker, they will be quickly scrambling to find a local ownership group.

Note to Louis, rule #1, never sue your mother.

Yep. I’m tired of that angle. 

They didn’t set a record at the time for sports franchises to move the team.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Anyone wanna apologize to John?  Anyone?

We know for sure now what is the truth? 

John may be innocent of doing nothing wrong. Lou may be a liar. The truth may be somewhere in between. 

Obviously the lawsuit was from one angle. This is another angle. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

We know for sure now what is the truth? 

John may be innocent of doing nothing wrong. Lou may be a liar. The truth may be somewhere in between. 

Obviously the lawsuit was from one angle. This is another angle. 

I'm not apologizing to anyone with the last name Angelos until they apologize for how badly they've botched this franchise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not apologizing to anyone with the last name Angelos until they apologize for how badly they've botched this franchise.

That’s a separate issue to me. 

I never blamed the sons for the failures of the father. I don’t think that is fair to anyone. 

That said I am not happy with the business side of the Orioles in recent years. Take the baseball budget and set it to the side for a moment. Everything is about pinching pennies and it hurts the brand of the team. Peter was not a good owner but I never felt he shortchanged the fans off the field if that makes any sense. 

If we somehow could have combined how the baseball ops is ran now with how the business side ran before, it would have been the best possible combo with this family. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Nope. What law was passed to fund Camden Yards? It was a bill and the family worked the legislature so that they would not have to put in any private funding.

And if they desired the team to stay in Baltimore for perpetuity they could have signed a lease extension.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And if they desired the team to stay in Baltimore for perpetuity they could have signed a lease extension.

I’m sure they want to stay under the most favorable terms possible.   So, they’re using leverage to achieve that.  

• Upvote 2