Druw Jones Jr hits with a planted front foot

51 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Anyone want to explain why this is an issue?  Looks like he doesn't have much of a problem actually hitting the ball.  

Hard to find someone who keeps the front foot planted when hitting.  It would be unusual.   But that's not the case.  He picks it up.   

• Upvote 1

On 6/17/2022 at 2:18 PM, DocJJ said:

Impressive hit.  BUT a good friend of mine who lives in the area said Druw has been feasting on terrible pitching all year.   His team does not play elite competition so you have to look at his showcase tournament play.  He acquitted himself quite nicely in tournament play too, so I'm not too concerned....

Most HS players feast on crappy pitching.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Most HS players feast on crappy pitching.

True, but it's worth pointing out that Elijah Green, supposedly, faces much better competition than your average HS player, playing with IMG academy.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

True, but it's worth pointing out that Elijah Green, supposedly, faces much better competition than your average HS player, playing with IMG academy.    

Jones isn't facing your average HS player either.  Maybe not the consistently at the same level that IMG faces, but Jones isn't building his stats against sandlot teams either.  Remember that viral "overrated" chant video where Druw Jones went yard?  

It was against a D1 college commit (Brady Jones).  

Brady Jones Class of 2022 - Player Profile | Perfect Game USA

In context, GA has produced a ton of MLB talent.  #4 behind the more populated states of FL, TX, and CA.  Wesleyan faces top GA level competition.  No clue where it ranks for current prospects, but quite a few top HS players are currently from GA (Jones, Johnson, Collier, and Lesko off the top of my head).

Which US State Produced the Most MLB Talent in 2021? | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Edited by btdart20
added Collier
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I like confidence.

One can be both humble and confident.   Jones does seem to have a “look at me” vibe, just based on some of his Twitter posts.   But that wouldn’t be a significant factor for me in deciding whether to draft him.   

• Like 1

The whole “planted front foot” thing. I generally do not see him doing what was described in video. However, if he did, it is not a problem at all. The whole leg kick, or reach step of most hitters, is about loading the back hip and timing. Mostly, it’s a timing thing. Some guys widen their stance and do not step at all. Some toe tap. Some start on a toe and just put it down. Some look to gain ground with a bigger step to gain momentum, personally don’t like this one at all. The list goes on. These things seem to happen mostly when a hitter feels like their timing is off. My son would do this with two strikes against premium velo. 

The only thing the front leg absolutely must do is be planted before the swing. Everything goes into a firm planted front side. At least it should, IMHO. 

Just my $.02 from the cheap seats. 

• Upvote 1