Roch Kubatko sets the OH on fire

blueberryale77

I'm a little hesitant to post this because I don't want the debate on this to degenerate like it did in some other threads recently, but I do think it's somewhat noteworthy that a generally respected member of the local mainstream media had this to say...

So who gets sent down today when the Orioles activate Miguel Tejada from the disabled list?

Luis Hernandez would have been the logical choice until seeing him play shortstop.

I’m beginning to like the idea of having Tejada serve as the designated hitter a few times a week. Hernandez has provided a significant defensive upgrade on the left side of the infield. And he doesn’t look overmatched at the plate, though his two singles Wednesday night were so soft, the ball didn’t bend the blades of grass in left field.

Hernandez turned 23 last month. The Orioles claimed him off waivers from the Atlanta Braves in October, a transaction that didn’t exactly send ripples through the MLB office. I wonder how many local media outlets here bothered to report it.

source

I don't really know what else to say about this. It is kind of shocking that it could get close enough to serious consideration for Roch to be talking about it. Could it be that he knows something about a lucrative Tejada trade deal? Is there any chance of this actually happening? How would Tejada react? How would the rest of the team react?

Debate away, but guys, please be nice to eachother! ;)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a little hesitant to post this because I don't want the debate on this to degenerate like it did in some other threads recently, but I do think it's somewhat noteworthy that a generally respected member of the local mainstream media had this to say...

source

I don't really know what else to say about this. It is kind of shocking that it could get close enough to serious consideration for Roch to be talking about it. Could it be that he knows something about a lucrative Tejada trade deal? Is there any chance of this actually happening? How would Tejada react? How would the rest of the team react?

Send down Fahey and Hernandez and call up House.

source

Something Trembley said the other day when he was discussing Tejada's return caught my ear. He said something to the effect of ..."everyone has been playing and everyone will continue to play...all 25 guys". To me it sounded like he was setting the tone for Miggy and Mora. There will be more team play. NO more streaks. If he is prudent about how he does this, and if Miggy can accept it, this could help the team a lot.

So I understand, what does DH'ing him have to do with a trade?

Anyway, I wouldn't have a problem with the idea of DH'ing him, especially after an injury. The comparison then becomes: is the gain defensively outweigh the loss you might get from sitting Huff (or whomever else would have been in the lineup). It's not just a Miggy vs LH decision.

Roch can have opinions like anybody else. Just because he's thinking about it doesn't mean that Trembley is (or isn't).

I don't know about "a couple of times a week," but if Tejada DH'd a little more often than he has in the past (say, once a week) it would be OK with me.

What should really happen is Tejada should be moved to 3rd when a slick-fielding shortstop who can hit his weight in AA can be found but then what do you do with Mora who has played very good defense. So I guess he should be moved to 3rd just not here.

I think that sums up the situation a little better.

Send down Fahey and Knott and call up House.
Send down Fahey and DFA Gibbons and call up House.
Send down Fahey and get out of Huff's contract by framing him for the slaying of a vampire and call up House.

Any of these would work. But no sending down the flavor of the month. He's fun and we love him! :P

Not to mention that (and with this one I'm serious) there just is not room on a baseball field for all those DHs at the same time!

What should really happen is Tejada should be moved to 3rd but then what do you do with Mora who has played very good defense. So I guess he should be moved to 3rd just not here.

Mora moves to LF when Payton is traded

Archived