Mancini trade market heating up? Orioles willing to deal Santander? Yankees and Mets?

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, 86this said:

Who looks good off the Braves' top 30?  They have a lot of pitchers and a few SS.  Wow.

Vaughn Grissom and Jared Shuster, Bryce Elder, Freddy Tarnok, Tucker Davidson. I would take Grissom and any one of those pitchers for Trey and Tate (or Krehbiel). Tarnok probably the guy I like most of those SPs, but would be fine with any of them. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LA2 said:

Yes, they were, but it's Buck--and Peter's acquiescence or gullibility toward him--that I blame for being so financially negligent about it, strangling the team for years.  I doubt that Duquette was as optimistic about Davis, late Hardy, Tillman, Trumbo II, and late O'Day and willing to pay so much for them.

From what I remember reading, the offseason they signed Davis, Duquette wanted a pitcher instead and wanted Jordan Zimmerman. 

• Upvote 1

We’re not going to get a return worth trading Mancini. What are we expecting - a good reliever type? We’ve taken Mateo, Urias, Perez, Baker, Krehbiel, Watkins, and Wells all from waiver and Rule 5. I don’t think Stowers can out-perform Mancini this year. We have no replacement for Lopez - I don’t even know what that idea is floated. Bautista can close, but the strength to our pen is how deep we are in dependable options. We don’t have another Lopez to call up and provide that. We’ve shown that the analytics and coaching can pull guys from obscurity to prominence; so why are folks so keen to give up our small playoff chances this year for a C level prospect? Keep the band together and enjoy the next 2 months.

6 hours ago, oriolefan1035 said:

We’re not going to get a return worth trading Mancini. What are we expecting - a good reliever type? We’ve taken Mateo, Urias, Perez, Baker, Krehbiel, Watkins, and Wells all from waiver and Rule 5. I don’t think Stowers can out-perform Mancini this year. We have no replacement for Lopez - I don’t even know what that idea is floated. Bautista can close, but the strength to our pen is how deep we are in dependable options. We don’t have another Lopez to call up and provide that. We’ve shown that the analytics and coaching can pull guys from obscurity to prominence; so why are folks so keen to give up our small playoff chances this year for a C level prospect? Keep the band together and enjoy the next 2 months.

There are a number of team interested so I believe we will.

18 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

There are a number of team interested so I believe we will.

I’d love to be wrong. The last several years trade deadline action suggest that I won’t be. Can you point to a single rental Mancini-type hitter that has moved in the past 3 years for a good prospect?

1 minute ago, oriolefan1035 said:

I’d love to be wrong. The last several years trade deadline action suggest that I won’t be. Can you point to a single rental Mancini-type hitter that has moved in the past 3 years for a good prospect?

Hey, enough with the logic and facts already!  This is the place where we think we can get two top 10 prospects out of any given system just because we believe we can!  Get out of here with your comps!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hey, enough with the logic and facts already!  This is the place where we think we can get two top 10 prospects out of any given system just because we believe we can!  Get out of here with your comps!

I'm more of a trade two guys you don't want on the roster and the 38th ranked prospect for a useful piece kinda guy myself.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Marlins traded Ozuna a few years ago to the Cards.  Ozuna was 26, had less than a 5 fWAR, and had 2 years of team control left.  So maybe more a Santander type comp than Mancini.  Marlins got Alcantara, Zach Gallen, and a couple of other guys.  Every now and then a zinger comes along to stoke the imagination.  And with the 2022 Oriole magic sprinkling liberally, maybe the trade deadline is no exception!

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Marlins traded Ozuna a few years ago to the Cards.  Ozuna was 26, had less than a 5 fWAR, and had 2 years of team control left.  So maybe more a Santander type comp than Mancini.  Marlins got Alcantara, Zach Gallen, and a couple of other guys.  Every now and then a zinger comes along to stoke the imagination.  And with the 2022 Oriole magic sprinkling liberally, maybe the trade deadline is no exception!

I would have to assume that Ozuna is/was a better defender than Mancini. IIRC that was the year he was busting out so I believe the Cardinals gambled that he was taking his game to the next level.  Didn’t really work out for them though. 

Either way, pretty good pull.