Saturday afternoon July 2: Orioles try to bounce back after tough loss vs Twins

SteveA

1 minute ago, maybenxtyr said:

Right. So a guy going from below mediocre to elite over night doesn't involve any luck?

He was a starter who was almost always great the first or second time through a lineup but would run out of gas.  So you put him in the bullpen and he has success.  

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Nah, talent is there. Twins are good and apparently have Lopez's number.

Still, can't blow two games in a row. It's a gut punch but luckily, I'm an Orioles fan, I can't be gut punched any more. i expect the worse and I'm glad when it doesn't happen.

He's very talented. I just don't believe anyone thought he was going to maintain the pace he was on. Some were comparing him to Britton's excellent season the other day. I think he's good...just not great.

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

Lopez looked like we was almost throwing too hard if that gun is right.  Saw a couple 100 in there but he didn’t have his normal sink he gets when he 96-97.

Too much of the plate on most pitches…and was ahead on the last hitter.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Surhoffan17 said:

Too much of the plate on most pitches…and was ahead on the last hitter.

Yes, exactly. Shd have thrown a breaking pitch or sinker off the plate on 0-2--don't know why it wasn't called for by Chirinos.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, LA2 said:

What was the McKenna play? What did he blow?

Kiriloff's double   It got over his head, he was a bit awkward turning around.   Not a great effort, but OTOH it probably would have been a SportsCenter top 10 play if he did make it.   It certainly wasn't a routine play or something that he botched.

But he was out there specifically for plus defense, and he was not plus on that play.

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Is the league adjusting to Lopez or is he just in a slump right now?

He was getting no sink on the ball at all today.  Sometimes when you try harder and throw harder it tough to get that sink.  That was the incredible thing with Britton he still had great sink even when he was 98-99 that very hard to do.  

• Upvote 1