O's on the edge of contention in July

wildcard

12 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Elias gets a view of 17 more games before the trade deadline, barring rainouts.

Is even 6-0 to close first half enough to make him take a long think about unveiling Hall-Gunnar-Westburg to open the second half?

We have a chunk of 7 Rays games soon after news breaking today Wander's wrist might be a non-minor injury.

I do hope we pitch Lyles Tuesday-Sunday-Friday, if he's game.    Its kind of the time of his life this month as much as Mancini's.

You got your wish.   Lyles announced as the Tuesday starter, so they are pushing Watkins a day past Lyles, presumably so Lyles can come back next Sunday (instead of Voth), on normal rest both times taking advantage of the off days.

Heck, they could even send Voth down after today, as they won't need a 5th starter until Tuesday the 26th which is more than 15 days from now so Voth could come back at that time.   Have either an extra reliever, or (gasp!) a 5 man bench between now and then.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Elias gets a view of 17 more games before the trade deadline, barring rainouts.

Is even 6-0 to close first half enough to make him take a long think about unveiling Hall-Gunnar-Westburg to open the second half?

We have a chunk of 7 Rays games soon after news breaking today Wander's wrist might be a non-minor injury.

I do hope we pitch Lyles Tuesday-Sunday-Friday, if he's game.    Its kind of the time of his life this month as much as Mancini's.

Radio broadcast confirming Tuesday & Sunday Lyles appearances.   

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JimGinSP said:

Radio broadcast confirming Tuesday & Sunday Lyle appearances.   

It is very 2022 baseball that I could glimpse circumstances in which he leads the league in innings pitched, is the team MVP, and also is NOT on the roster for the opening round 3-game series at the AL Central champion's ballpark.

The Peacock broadcast just had a Futures Game promo highlighting Jordan Lyles and Mike Trout as 2010 game participants.

55 minutes ago, SteveA said:

You got your wish.   Lyles announced as the Tuesday starter, so they are pushing Watkins a day past Lyles, presumably so Lyles can come back next Sunday (instead of Voth), on normal rest both times taking advantage of the off days.

Heck, they could even send Voth down after today, as they won't need a 5th starter until Tuesday the 26th which is more than 15 days from now so Voth could come back at that time.   Have either an extra reliever, or (gasp!) a 5 man bench between now and then.

Voth is out of options, but doesn’t mean he can’t pitch out of the pen for the Rays series. 

5 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

With the Mariners come back win against the Blue Jays the Orioles are now 2 games out of a playoff spot. 

2 back of the Jays and Mariners who are tied for the last Wild Card spot.  One behind the Guardians.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

2 back of the Jays and Mariners who are tied for the last Wild Card spot.  One behind the Guardians.

So when does Seattle’s 1-3 of their lineup have to actually serve their suspension?  That appeal cost us a game against them. 

Also we have 15 games left against Toronto. 9 home. 6 away. Including the final 3 of the season at OPACY. 

It’s interesting to see how different sites calculate our playoff odds and expected record.  Baseball Prospectus  has us with a 9.8% chance of making the playoffs, and a mean projected final record of 77.4 - 84.6.   Fangraphs has us with a 1.3% chance to make the playoffs and a projected final record of 75-87.   

For me, I’d want to see odds of 20% or higher before even thinking about any change in strategy.  

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s interesting to see how different sites calculate our playoff odds and expected record.  Baseball Prospectus  has us with a 9.8% chance of making the playoffs, and a mean projected final record of 77.4 - 84.6.   Fangraphs has us with a 1.3% chance to make the playoffs and a projected final record of 75-87.   

For me, I’d want to see odds of 20% or higher before even thinking about any change in strategy.  

What change in strategy?  Are talking about delaying trading players for a few months.   That does not change the strategy.  Its just delays it a few months in order to keep a together  a team that is surging trying to achieve a playoff berth.   

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

What change in strategy?  Are talking about delaying trading players for a few months.   That does not change the strategy.  Its just delays it a few months in order to keep a together  a team that is surging trying to achieve a playoff berth.   

Well if you delay on Mancini, you get nothing.  And I’m also talking about whether we’d try to acquire someone.

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well if you delay on Mancini, you get nothing.  And I’m also talking about whether we’d try to acquire someone.

You do not get nothing, you get two months of a good bat and strong veteran leadership.  If Mancini's next two months are nothing why would anyone trade for him.