Would you rather…

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have zero issue if Stowers is a guy they deem expendable and want to use him as a piece to get a guy like Lopez.

Do you think he would be viewed as more or less valuable than Santander as a trade piece? He has more control but no track record or flashy top 100 prospect status 

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Agreed. Hard pass.

Why would you hard pass on a trade of Santander, who's 27 and has never had a 2-win season, for a pretty good starting pitcher with a big K rate?  Snell is only making $10M a year, which doesn't buy you much in free agency.  Stowers could likely come to the majors today and be about as good as Santander.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Do you think he would be viewed as more or less valuable than Santander as a trade piece? He has more control but no track record or flashy top 100 prospect status 

Depends on the team.  I think a contender would rather have Santander but a fringe team (like Miami) or a rebuilding team (like Oakland) would prefer Stowers.

Not trading 98 from the left side with plus off-speed pitches for either of those guys. LH pitchers will provide extra value in the new dimensions and if for whatever reason Hall isn't a reliable SP, I think you can plug him into the bullpen right now and he'd be unhittable. 

A lot of the questions Hall faces are the same that people had for MacKenzie Gore. I'd bet the Padres are happy they stuck with him. I think I'd trade anyone in the org besides Adley, Hall, G-Rod and Henderson for Lopez. That includes Mullins and basically anyone else on the big league squad. If Miami doesn't budge, that's fine and would be very understandable on their part. 

• Upvote 2

Considering Santander has more control and costs less then it doesn’t make sense as a one for one trade. Something’s gotta be coming back with Snell.

While I get the rationale for the Hall scenario, I think it’s still best to hold your best prospects. Hopefully the Orioles will be competitive for many years and grabbing a guy who can help for 2022, probably not an actual contending year by the end, and one or two years following that seems short sighted. 

It’s hard pass as written on both accounts and not even really close IMO. 

1 minute ago, LTO's said:

Not trading 98 from the left side with plus off-speed pitches for either of those guys. LH pitchers will provide extra value in the new dimensions and if for whatever reason Hall isn't a reliable SP, I think you can plug him into the bullpen right now and he'd be unhittable. 

A lot of the questions Hall faces are the same that people had for MacKenzie Gore. I'd bet the Padres are happy they stuck with him. I think I'd trade anyone in the org besides Adley, Hall, G-Rod and Henderson for Lopez. That includes Mullins and basically anyone else on the big league squad. If Miami doesn't budge, that's fine and would be very understandable on their part. 

We definitely agree that Mullins is the one you move.  I’m going off the premise that the team isn’t doing that.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We definitely agree that Mullins is the one you move.  I’m going off the premise that the team isn’t doing that.

Totally agree.   Mullins isn't going anywhere right now.   Now, if this team falls off the cliff over the next two weeks, it may be a different story.  I don't want to see that happen, but that's the only way Mullins would be dealt.

Still thinking the Santander for Snell deal makes the most sense.

18 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I do not disagree, overall. With Gore, it was command. Maybe some mechanical, some mental. With Hall, I believe it is more mechanical. The biggest issue with Hall, for me, is his health and durability. That is where my concern lies. To plug him into the pen, he has to be healthy and durable. He is on a starter routine now and has trouble staying healthy. Still young at 23, and I love the talent. But he is still very unproven. The reason we love him is what gives him great trade value. Has to be the right deal. No one is saying to give him away. 

Just now, Jammer7 said:

I do not disagree, overall. With Gore, it was command. Maybe some mechanical, some mental. With Hall, I believe it is more mechanical. The biggest issue with Hall, for me, is his health and durability. That is where my concern lies. To plug him into the pen, he has to be healthy and durable. He is on a starter routine now and has trouble staying healthy. Still young at 23, and I love the talent. But he is still very unproven. The reason we love him is what gives him great trade value. Has to be the right deal. No one is saying to give him away. 

Sure, I think Hall has a pretty high degree of risk attached to him because of the command/health concerns. My issue is, if you're trading Hall for a starting pitcher, how much risk are you really losing? Pretty much every starter in baseball is inherently risky because of the high rate of health issues associated with pitchers even if they are established big leaguers. I don't think the O's are at the trade prospects for starters phase yet. I'd much rather them keep Hall and Rodriguez and open up the checkbook to acquire starting pitchers. That way, if your FA signing implodes, you are only on the hook for the $ and keep your org stocked with young talent. Those pre-arb years for Hall and G-Rod will be very important imo. 

• Upvote 1

I do not want to give away any young talent YET.  We need to keep the minor league machine going and while I know we will have to make decisions in the future, I would rather see us consider trading younger major league arms  (in their arbitration years) to make improvements and then replace with minor league arms (as we have a much enhanced minor league system).

The thing is, you can’t get in the mindset that you don’t trade unproven assets yet.  Some of these guys we hope we are going to rely on will fail.  It is imperative that you use some of them in trades and try and get the talent needed to win.

If you just sit around and wait, values will plummet.