We are up. Who do you want for pick 81, and who do you think they will take?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I said I don't know.

I also kinda doubt he was obscure by MLB scouting department standards.  I bet his name was in every team's database.

Of course, he was in every teams data base.   He was ranked #456 on Baseball America's top 500.      I don't know how many HS players were in that top 500 but I would place a bet that the Orioles had less than 10 in for workouts at OPACY.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Of course, he was in every teams data base.   He was ranked #456 on Baseball America's top 500.      I don't know how many HS players were in that top 500 but I would place a bet that the Orioles had less than 10 in for workouts at OPACY.

I think they called every HS bat around the night before Day 3 last year, and shopped that 1mm #, and Willems was best that agreed. 

We all criticize the Willems pick, but how many HS bats actually signed after rd 10 last year?

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think they called every HS bat around the night before Day 3 last year, and shopped that 1mm #, and Willems was best that agreed. 

We all criticize the Willems pick, but how many HS bats actually signed after rd 10 last year?

Willems was day 2 and drafted in R8

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is the first sentence a joke?    

What's really funny is how many people were clamoring for an overslot HS pick after the 5th round yesterday.

58 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t like that Elias seems to have put pitching on the back burner. The thing about Martin is he’s more of a table setter and Cowser is a power bat. Neither is currently lighting it up. Cowser was on fire at their current level. Looking at Martin he is either being  coached differently or his psyche has been affected due to the fact that the Blue traded him. His drop off was substantial.

I too wish Elias would draft more pitching. Cowser isn't lighting it up? Have you seen his statline in Bowie? I wouldn't trade Cowser for Martin right now. I don't think anyone would

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Is the first sentence a joke?    

What's really funny is how many people were clamoring for an overslot HS pick after the 5th round yesterday.

Well, there were (and still are) highly rated HS players there.  Willems wasn’t that. 

Thus the difference.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, there were (and still are) highly rated HS players there.  Willems wasn’t that. 

Thus the difference.

Not highly regarded.  Ok.  Then it would be highly unusual to have a player like that come in for a workout (from Texas) unless there was a good chance you were going to sign him.  Right?

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Martin's had two years.   He's in AAA with a .691 OPS.   Stranger things have happened but I doubt it.

Lawlar?   23 errors in 47 games at SS and off to a slow start at high A.   Hmmmmm.    Stranger things have happened.

Looks like Lawlar was sent back to Low A last week.  Maybe he was just filling in for someone who got injured in HiA?   I don’t think any team would demote a prospect after six games based on performance.  

58 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Not highly regarded.  Ok.  Then it would be highly unusual to have a player like that come in for a workout (from Texas) unless there was a good chance you were going to sign him.  Right?

I don’t know.  Maybe.  Did the Os pay for him to come in?  Was he making a mid Atlantic trip and came on his own?  

How many other guys did they brIng in?  Why wait until the 8th round if he was one of your planned picks? 

I can ask you a bunch of hypothetical questions you don’t have answers to either.  

But I feel good that a guy who wasn’t highly regarded and didn’t go until the 8th round wasn’t one of their top plans.

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Looks like Lawlar was sent back to Low A last week.  Maybe he was just filling in for someone who got injured in HiA?   I don’t think any team would demote a prospect after six games based on performance.  

The high A team played in Vancouver.   Probably not vaccinated.

7 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I too wish Elias would draft more pitching. Cowser isn't lighting it up? Have you seen his statline in Bowie? I wouldn't trade Cowser for Martin right now. I don't think anyone would

Yep… actually baseball reference does something stupid by not listening in chronological order. So he’s doing pretty good at Bowie after looking pretty mediocre in A ball. My mistake…. I wouldn’t trade him for Martin at this point? It will be interesting to see if the Twins can straighten him out. But clearly the trade by the Jays did something to him in a bad way