We are up. Who do you want for pick 81, and who do you think they will take?

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Nah.  Why would they say this?  They have no idea who will be there in the 4th round, which was their next pick.

They got the guy they wanted.  He’s too big of a risk to think it was any other reason.  It’s not just, we got off cheap.  They could have paid Brooks Lee the same money.  They could have gotten Lesko or Berry or Parada or any other number of guys for that money or less.  Why did they take Rocker over all of them?

I think that if a Boras "client" tells you that he will not sign if picked it greatly reduces the chance of a team using an early draft pick to select them.

Just now, NCRaven said:

Okay, they said "he's the cheap option that we like the best."  It's pretty clear to me that they likely had something agreed to with both Rocker and Porter pre-draft and knew how much they would need to save with the 1-3 pick beforehand.  They "might" have saved that much on Lesko, Berry, etal., but they wouldn't have with Johnson or Green.

There is no way to know for sure Porter would be there and Rocker isn’t putting less money in his own pocket to get Porter to Texas.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think that if a Boras "client" tells you that he will not sign if picked it greatly reduces the chance of a team using an early draft pick to select them.

So he told 29 teams he won’t sign with them?  Find that hard to believe.  Guess it’s possible (can’t completely rule it out) but it’s not likely.  Other teams could have paid him if they wanted to.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So he told 29 teams he won’t sign with them?  Find that hard to believe.  Guess it’s possible (can’t completely rule it out) but it’s not likely.  Other teams could have paid him if they wanted to.

I can't do anything about you finding it hard to believe.

I think that when you see how they picked two guys being advised by the same agent it seems pretty likely.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can't do anything about you finding it hard to believe.

I think that when you see how they picked two guys being advised by the same agent it seems pretty likely.

Yep.  It’s pretty likely that he would have delayed his money, pro career, etc…unless he got to go play in the Texas org. 

Definitely LIKELY.

Not sure why it's hard to see that Texas specifically targeted these two players or why Rocker would take a haircut on the signing bonus at 1-3 when the alternative is getting drafted much further down, possibly even into the comp picks or the 2nd round, where he might have gotten even less money from another team.  And, high school players decide not to sign all the time, go to college, and hope to improve their draft position later.  Again, not sure why this might surprise someone.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep.  It’s pretty likely that he would have delayed his money, pro career, etc…unless he got to go play in the Texas org. 

Definitely LIKELY.

Are you lacking ability or acting?

I honestly can't tell.

No where did I say he wouldn't sign if one of those other teams selected him and offered him 4M.

He very well might have signed if he was put into that situation.

That doesn't stop him from trying to influence his eventual destination. 

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think once Porter was there, they worked out a deal.  But I don’t think when they drafted Rocker they did so knowing Porter was going to be there.

You can never know a pitcher is going to be there but ask yourself why Porter dropped out of the first round altogether.   He was rated anywhere from 10-15.    The only logical reason he drops is price tag.   The Rangers knew that there was a good chance no one would take him top 10 and that teams would be weary of taking Porter.  Did they know 100% that no one would take him.   Of course not.   Call it an educated guess and a very nice plan they put together.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are you lacking ability or acting?

I honestly can't tell.

No where did I say he wouldn't sign if one of those other teams selected him and offered him 4M.

He very well might have signed if he was put into that situation.

That doesn't stop him from trying to influence his eventual destination. 

I said, he didn’t tell 29 other teams he wouldn’t sign with them.  You said because it’s the same agent, it’s likely.

As usual, you are one lacking.

There is no way he told 29 other teams he’s not signing with them.  That is not likely in any universe.  He certainly could have said he prefers a destination but that doesn’t mean anything.  If you want the player and you can pay them, you draft them and that player will be happy to sign.  

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You can never know a pitcher is going to be there but ask yourself why Porter dropped out of the first round altogether.   He was rated anywhere from 10-15.    The only logical reason he drops is price tag.   The Rangers knew that there was a good chance no one would take him top 10 and that teams would be weary of taking Porter.  Did they know 100% that no one would take him.   Of course not.   Call it an educated guess and a very nice plan they put together.

Every single year, player drop.  There is nothing unusual about it. We saw top 50 guys available after round 10. I think the Rangers knew that if a player was dropping that they wanted that they could float the idea that they will pay big for him but that doesn’t mean they knew it at the time.  

That’s what I’m pushing back on..that they had some pretty draft thing worked out with Boras and that Porter was telling everyone else he isn’t signing with them.  Every single team in the league had a chance to both draft and sign him and I don’t think he’s walking away from 4M if Detroit offered it to him in round 2.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I said, he didn’t tell 29 other teams he wouldn’t sign with them.  You said because it’s the same agent, it’s likely.

There is no way he told 29 other teams he’s not signing with them.  That is not likely in any universe.  He certainly could have said he prefers a destination but that doesn’t mean anything.  If you want the player and you can pay them, you draft them and that player will be happy to sign.  

So Jeter didn't tell teams he'd only sign with the Yankees, Jason Heyward didn't tell teams he'd only sign with the Braves?

These things didn't happen?

Guys also just don't sign.

That happens.

You have just managed to somehow fixate yourself on the Orioles somehow signing this kid and you've left touch with reality.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

He wouldn't say, "I won't sign for these 29 teams."  He would have said, "I won't sign for much less than $4 mil."  Clearly, Texas was the only team that valued him at that price.

Just now, NCRaven said:

He wouldn't say, "I won't sign for these 29 teams."  He would have said, "I won't sign for much less than $4 mil."  Clearly, Texas was the only team that valued him at that price.

Sure..but again, at the time Rocker was picked, there is no way they knew he would be there.  Some team in the first round could have wanted him.  

Again, every team had the ability to draft and sign him.  Texas didn’t know pre-draft that they were getting Porter in R4.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So Jeter didn't tell teams he'd only sign with the Yankees, Jason Heyward didn't tell teams he'd only sign with the Braves?

These things didn't happen?

Guys also just don't sign.

That happens.

You have just managed to somehow fixate yourself on the Orioles somehow signing this kid and you've left touch with reality.

Wtf are you talking about?  I’m not fixated on him at all.  Your posts are just getting dumber.

I even said there are plenty of legit reasons not to draft the kid.  

I certainly would have rather taken a shot at him vs other guys we did take a shot at but I’m hardly fixated on him.

As for players saying that..im sure it happens.  But I bet way often than not, it doesn’t work.  Again, there is no chance pre draft or when they chose Rocker that they knew, for 100%, that Porter would be there.  

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Every single year, player drop.  There is nothing unusual about it. We saw top 50 guys available after round 10. I think the Rangers knew that if a player was dropping that they wanted that they could float the idea that they will pay big for him but that doesn’t mean they knew it at the time.  

That’s what I’m pushing back on..that they had some pretty draft thing worked out with Boras and that Porter was telling everyone else he isn’t signing with them.  Every single team in the league had a chance to both draft and sign him and I don’t think he’s walking away from 4M if Detroit offered it to him in round 2.

There's almost always a reason why players drop.   Either they have a strong commitment to go to college or return to college or there are injury concerns or they have a price tag that teams don't want to pay at where they think the player should be picked.

It wasn't by pure chance that Porter dropped out of the 1st round.   You're not that dumb.   Wait ..........

I