Rutschman vs Witt

Filmstudy

The back issues are a problem and no doubt have contributed to his slump.  Adley was hitting .310 beginning of July.  Between the back issue that has flared up and him taking a foul ball off the hand during that time it has been a spiral for him.  

4 minutes ago, Ceciltrav said:

The back issues are a problem and no doubt have contributed to his slump.  Adley was hitting .310 beginning of July.  Between the back issue that has flared up and him taking a foul ball off the hand during that time it has been a spiral for him.  

We have zero idea how long the back has been bothering him.

He also got hit on the hand in last June. 

I wonder if it would be smart to just IL your starting C for the minimum time in July or August, just to give them a complete break away from things and rest their bodies?

• Upvote 1

I think it is silly to be having this conversation. There are people on here that wanted Vaughn and others who wanted Bleday. Yes, there was a bunch of people who wanted Witt and I wanted Abrams. 
Instead, you ended up with an all star catcher and an all star shortstop who are both having troubles coming out of the all star break. Witt may have the higher war throughout his career, but you can’t discount what a catcher like Adley brings to the team. Even Buster Posey struggled at times, but I have complete faith Adley is going to have a solid career and will have a greater war than Wieters(as someone suggested he was Wieters 2.0).

3 hours ago, Safelykept said:

Poor Adley, nothing like getting kicked when your down.

The offense is bad enough, but the defense is perplexing and scary. He is from Oregon, I believe. Perhaps he grew up a Mariners fan. Maybe the Mariners would "overpay" this offseason in a trade for him, which nets us a top starting pitcher. Just thinking out loud...

2 hours ago, MDK02 said:

How about Jackson Merril or Jackson Holiday? Merril would probably be my choice now and going forward, with all due respect to Holiday. 

What? This is no contest...check back in two years. Holliday should be the much better hitter. 

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I remember being told not that long ago that i was crazy for wanting Witt over Adley. 

If we take Witt do we take Gunnar? And if so, what would we have done with the extra guy? We’ve seen how management works when faced with several outstanding players. They tend to not use them to best advantage.

19 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

If we take Witt do we take Gunnar? And if so, what would we have done with the extra guy? We’ve seen how management works when faced with several outstanding players. They tend to not use them to best advantage.

Why wouldn’t they take Gunnar?

You don’t draft for need, you draft for BPA. There was also no guarantee Gunnar would be a SS at the time.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why wouldn’t they take Gunnar?

You don’t draft for need, you draft for BPA. There was also no guarantee Gunnar would be a SS at the time.

I would have been fine with Gunnar at 3B. He might be better there anyway. 

it occurred to me that there might be some ego problems going on? Adley was seen as the best thing to happen to the Os in 25 years. And then Gunnar came along and quickly supplanted him. The presidential T-Shirts sold earlier said “Gunnar Adley 2024” and not “Adley Gunnar” and it would be only human for that kind of demotion to have an effect on someone. Adley has much more WAr than Gunnar, and Gunnar’s has gone down since his lousy play became more common, but it’s clear to everyone that Gunnar is more valuable.

How much would that be a factor if it were “Witt Gunnar2024”?

15 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I would have been fine with Gunnar at 3B. He might be better there anyway. 

it occurred to me that there might be some ego problems going on? Adley was seen as the best thing to happen to the Os in 25 years. And then Gunnar came along and quickly supplanted him. The presidential T-Shirts sold earlier said “Gunnar Adley 2024” and not “Adley Gunnar” and it would be only human for that kind of demotion to have an effect on someone. Adley has much more WAr than Gunnar, and Gunnar’s has gone down since his lousy play became more common, but it’s clear to everyone that Gunnar is more valuable.

How much would that be a factor if it were “Witt Gunnar2024”?

I think that’s a reach. These guys want to win. That’s really what matters.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I think that’s a reach. These guys want to win. That’s really what matters.

Sure, but in addition to winning, they want to be the hero, the go-to guy.

it’s one thing to be the last guy on the roster, the eighth guy in the pen, the 6th starter.

It’s another to be the first guy mentioned when discussing a team. And that is no longer Adley, but Gunnar.

9 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Sure, but in addition to winning, they want to be the hero, the go-to guy.

it’s one thing to be the last guy on the roster, the eighth guy in the pen, the 6th starter.

It’s another to be the first guy mentioned when discussing a team. And that is no longer Adley, but Gunnar.

Yea I think this is a bit much