Two moves I hope Elias makes for the 2nd Half

wildcard

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Do you think he pretty immediately will be more successful than some of the pitchers currently in our rotation?  They’ve been on a pretty good roll, 3.06 ERA since June 16 over 28 games.   

Maybe, maybe not..but I don’t really care.  This year isn’t as important as next year.

Im not even convinced he would start either.  They may just want him throwing 2-4 innings out of the pen.  

My plan would be to get Snell and maybe another starter if a long term option is there and the trade makes sense.

So, I’m not even sure Hall would be a starter for me.  I suspect I would give him some starts just to let him experience it but there won’t be many.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Maybe, maybe not..but I don’t really care.  This year isn’t as important as next year.

Im not even convinced he would start either.  They may just want him throwing 2-4 innings out of the pen.  

My plan would be to get Snell and maybe another starter if a long term option is there and the trade makes sense.

So, I’m not even sure Hall would be a starter for me.  I suspect I would give him some starts just to let him experience it but there won’t be many.

The reason I asked was to consider whether there’s “zero reason” not to bring him up now.  Really, the only one I can come up with is that it would be disrupting a staff that is currently doing well, knowing that Hall may struggle at first.   I agree that bringing up Hall now is more about preparing him for next year (and seeing how his stuff plays up here) than it is about maximizing current wins — though it’s possible it could do both.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

The reason I asked was to consider whether there’s “zero reason” not to bring him up now.  Really, the only one I can come up with is that it would be disrupting a staff that is currently doing well, knowing that Hall may struggle at first.   I agree that bringing up Hall now is more about preparing him for next year (and seeing how his stuff plays up here) than it is about maximizing current wins — though it’s possible it could do both.   

I guess I should have said zero valid reasons.

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Hard to argue. I'm ready for Hall in the majors for sure.

Could add Westburg up for Nevin or Odor.

Will need to wait a little longer for Stowers, I'd guess. Same for Henderson, though I know people are saying he and Westburg are tied together.

Odor isn't going anywhere.  HIs energy and leadership have more than enough value to keep him around.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

There is zero reason for Hall to stay in the minors.  He only has 30ish innings left for this season.  He needs to get his feet wet up here and start experiencing these hitters.

He has been completely dominant this month.  Nothing left to show down there that he can’t deal with up here.

There can be arguments made against all of the "call ups".

If Hall only has 30 IP then wouldn't it be a no brainer not to call him up because if we were to shut him down then he would accrue service time while being shut down.  

Vavra only has played in 82 games above A ball.  

Gunnar has a .585 OPS in July.  The league is adjusting to him.  He's still really struggling vs LHP.  

Westburg has a .633 OPS in July.  The league is adjusting to him.  

With Urias healthy and locking down 3B, there really isn't a need to force a call up.  Let these guys overcome some adversity in the minors and be fully cooked.  I've been all about calling them up before, but now I'm of the mindset that you gotta dance with the girl you came with.  That's Urias, Mateo, and Odor.  Vavra can get ABs in September IF he's healthy, and IF we're out of it.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

There can be arguments made against all of the "call ups".

If Hall only has 30 IP then wouldn't it be a no brainer not to call him up because if we were to shut him down then he would accrue service time while being shut down.  

Vavra only has played in 82 games above A ball.  

Gunnar has a .585 OPS in July.  The league is adjusting to him.  He's still really struggling vs LHP.  

Westburg has a .633 OPS in July.  The league is adjusting to him.  

With Urias healthy and locking down 3B, there really isn't a need to force a call up.  Let these guys overcome some adversity in the minors and be fully cooked.  I've been all about calling them up before, but now I'm of the mindset that you gotta dance with the girl you came with.  That's Urias, Mateo, and Odor.  Vavra can get ABs in September IF he's healthy, and IF we're out of it.  

The service time argument is meaningless because they all should be on the OD roster in a year you want to win.  Whether you call them up today or on OF 2023, your service time stays the same.

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Odor isn't going anywhere.  HIs energy and leadership have more than enough value to keep him around.  

He has no business getting the playing time he is.  If there is room to keep him for off the field stuff, that’s fine but he’s not nearly good enough to stop you from replacing him.

1 hour ago, Sanfran327 said:

Curious to hear why you think Henderson needs more time. He's playing extremely well. He doesn't have the exact pedigree that Manny did, but he was a high pick, and is not struggling in any phase. Being able to replace Odor (I'd option Nevin and keep Odor as a pinch hitter) in the everyday lineup by starting Henderson at 3rd and moving Urias over to 2nd would be a significant gain overall as long as Urias can turn a double play effectively. 

I'd also like to see Hall up. Let him come out of the bullpen for a bit to keep his innings down perhaps. Not worried about any OFers at this point as our top 3 are established and playing well together. It's a really strong group when they're all hitting. 

Actually Henderson has cooled off a bit.  I suspect that they have adjusted how they pitch to him.  Let's see if he can make a similar adjustment.  At that point, I would be good in bringing him up.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

There is zero reason for Hall to stay in the minors.  He only has 30ish innings left for this season.  He needs to get his feet wet up here and start experiencing these hitters.

He has been completely dominant this month.  Nothing left to show down there that he can’t deal with up here.

i think the innings limit is part of the key with Hall. Bring in up, let him open or put him in an Akin type role for the rest of the season so he can face major league hitters. He should be ready then to start 2023 in the rotation.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

i think the innings limit is part of the key with Hall. Bring in up, let him open or put him in an Akin type role for the rest of the season so he can face major league hitters. He should be ready then to start 2023 in the rotation.

Yep.  If he had another 50-80 innings, i May say to wait another few starts but no reason to waste any further innings in AAA at this point.

On 7/18/2022 at 1:42 PM, LookinUp said:

Nevin & Arrauz are not getting consistent playing time. To me, both are placeholders as this point for guys like Henderson, Vevra, and Westburg. 

Call me crazy, but I like Odor as a bench guy. He's someone who can pinch hit late in games. 

I don't think Mateo is an everyday player. Yes, he's a plus defender and a base stealer but you can't steal first base. He reminds me a lot of Billy Hamiliton in that regard. 

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

How does shutting Hall down work with service time?  If he's in the MLB then does he essentially go on IL and accrues service time.  

I'm all for spot starting Hall for 3IPish type bursts a couple of times in the 2nd half.  I don't want him wasting MLB service time while being shut down.