Jackson Holliday press conference

Frobby

Anybody watch this?   Tell you what, this kid is as young-looking as it gets!   Long hair too — at first I thought there was a young woman sitting at the podium for some reason.   

Not much of substance in the Q&A but I liked it when they asked him how soon he thought he’d be ready for the big leagues and he answered that he hoped it would be two years or less.   That’s the kind of confidence you like to see!  I couldn’t tell too much about his personality but he doesn’t seem like someone who is used to getting a ton of media attention or has a big ego.  

One thing really struck me: he was asked what he thinks of playing SS for an organization that once had Cal Ripken at SS.   He gave the predictable answer that it was an honor, blah blah.  Then it dawned on me: this kid was born two years after Cal Ripken retired.  He never saw Cal play, unless he was watching old WS highlight films or something similar.   Made me feel real old.   Of course, he’s also 8 years younger than my youngest kid, so there’s that, too.   

I was just walking around the stadium with my kid and we ducked into the team store to get out of the heat and into the a/c and the Holliday family was there stocking up on O's gear. Jackson is definitely a young looking fella.

Got me thinking that if he comes up in 3 years and plays for 10-15 years with the O's, he could end up being like to my two-year-old kid, what Brady Anderson was to me (I was born in '85), a player who was there from the beginning of my earliest O's memories through close to the end of high school.

Not sure whether the shopping spree was comped but the employees at the checkout seemed quite impressed with the total.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I was just walking around the stadium with my kid and we ducked into the team store to get out of the heat and into the a/c and the Holliday family was there stocking up on O's gear. Jackson is definitely a young looking fella.

Got me thinking that if he comes up in 3 years and plays for 10-15 years with the O's, he could end up being like to my two-year-old kid, what Brady Anderson was to me (I was born in '85), a player who was there from the beginning of my earliest O's memories through close to the end of high school.

Not sure whether the shopping spree was comped but the employees at the checkout seemed quite impressed with the total.

Awesome story! Did you get an autograph for your kid?

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Awesome story! Did you get an autograph for your kid?

Nah, he was with his whole family and I didn't want to bug him. If my kid had run into them and engaged their attention I might have gotten a picture of him with my kid, but my kid was shockingly well behaved and looking at the different wares in the store.

• Upvote 3

I also got a chuckle out of the Cal question - I'm sure he knows who he is, but he definitely hasn't seen more then a few highlights. Would love to see him up within 2 years and while it's more likely that he's knocking on the door at that point I don't think any of us will complain if he breaks it off its hinges. 

The most excited he got in the press conference was about getting down to Florida and getting back to playing baseball. I like that. 

He definitely looks young (but no he doesn’t look like a woman, he just has long hair). To me that suggests he has even more upside 

19 minutes ago, seak05 said:

The most excited he got in the press conference was about getting down to Florida and getting back to playing baseball. I like that. 

I'm sure for some (most?) of these guys, the period leading up to the draft until the day that they sign is the longest stretch that they can remember not having played organized baseball, certainly the longest warm weather time for all of them.