That's discipline.

Moose Milligan

1 minute ago, Yossarian said:

The plan is complete when the O's win the last game of the Major League season.

I mean great and I don't have many issues with the trade, but that will be hard to do if you keep kicking the can down the road and plan to sell every deadline you are in the playoff chase just because you don't think they match up well with playoff teams. The playoffs are a crap shoot.

I think we're making a mountain out of a mole hill with the Lopez trade. My opinion. And if and when Santander goes it'll be the same thing. Our whole bullpen has been nails and only one piece is gone. Plus, we've been collectively clamoring to get more of Vespi. Same with Stowers. I personally don't really think the team has changed much at all and don't expect a collapse from these moves. Making room and getting some pieces in the process. 

Next year it'll be Mullins or Hays making room for Cowser. Don't get too attached. As has been mentioned, 16 of our top 17 prospects are in AA or higher. More of this will happen but unlike in previous years we won't be left with a black hole at the position we part with.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

They are fine..you could always get arms like them.  They are readily available in deals.  Every team has them.

I agree, but we really do not have enough.  I know you are not totally in disagree mode here, but let's evaluate where the Orioles are at the end of today.

So far we have moved one bat with 2.5 months of service left and one arm with 2+ years of service left for 6 arms, several of which look like potential rotation pieces.

And it is entirely likely that the Orioles and Elias are not done.  But we have a GM that is sticking to a plan and has shown he can be creative.   I mean, a three team deal for crying out loud.

So far, I am totally on board with the Mancini deal, and curiously open but underwhelmed by the Lopez deal.  IF we landed a controllable starter to use tomorrow with another move, I would be pretty impressed.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Tip of the cap to Mike Elias for sticking to his plan and not letting pollyanna fans think that this is a year they should be going "all in" in an attempt to get a third wild card berth. 

Good to know we've got a GM who's not resting until his plan is complete.  That's discipline and not chasing shiny objects.  Any fans who are pissed off about this will most likely forget how they felt in early August 2022 in a year or so when there's a legit contender on the field.  

Mike, if you're reading, now trade Santander, too.  Keep it going.

And by the way....Moose this is a fantastic post.  But Jeep it going!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, now said:

I hear ya. But then, I think back to the wishful contention of 1965, and the three for one (Pappas, Baldschun, Simpson) to net Frank Robinson. So I guess the real moral of the story is to pick the right "star" to put you over the top (and the right pieces to deal for him). At the end of the day, superior talent evaluation matters most.

A bit of a tangent, but here's an intriguing theoretical: Would you trade young Finley-Harnisch-Schilling for 30-yr.-old F. Robinson?

3 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Elias definitely isnt worried about optics with the Lopez trade. All Star closer with 2.3 years of control traded for 4 unknowns. 

Depends on how its framed. Elias might say - "Journeyman pitcher with a 6.00 ERA before this year who's had 48 innings of success and still blown 17% of his saves and who is in line for a big increase in salary that could be better spent on positions where we don't have a replacement already available."

Optics depend on perspective. The optics of this move for me is sell high to fill the organizations biggest area of need - pitching depth.

• Upvote 1