When we "lift off", who should they be trying to acquire?

Sports Guy

And so we're back to the Orioles trying to once again sign pitchers. Let's be real - they've been extraordinarily bad at this through multiple different regimes. I go back to Flanagan with the 3 relief pitcher offseason (remember Jamie Walker?) and Kris Benson, or MacPhail with Mike Gonzalez (and the mixed success of Koji Uehara before the transition to the bullpen), and finally the Orioles' first real modern foray into FA SP with Dan Duquette's Ubaldo and Cobb signings (although Chen worked out nicely). 

The good news is Elias' first FA SP, Lyles, has worked out about as good as you could hope. Any signing by Elias will be supported by their data/scouting team - it won't just be some willy-nilly signing, so that's heartening at least. And how glad are we to have the wall going into this offseason? It can't be underestimated. 

• Upvote 1

I think they bring back most of the arb eligible guys.  Only questions are Phillips and BP options.
OF - A trade of Mullins and/or Hays wouldn’t surprise me for SP.  Phillips is great defensively so if he can figure out how to get the bat on the ball…. Then Stowers, Santander, and Vavra/Phillips are the regulars with Cowser as a chaser.  

IF - Mounty, Urias/Westburg, Mateo, Gunnar around the horn.

C - Adley and a league minimum guy.  

SP - OF trade guy, FA guy, maybe FA2 guy, Grayson, Wells.  Then Means as we’re tapping the brakes on Grayson.  Bradish and Hall in the mix.  Probably Kremer too.

BP - Our guys plus Hall/Bradish to control IP.  I’m sure Elias will scour the market for options too.

I doubt they sign an SS at this point.  Too many good options from the MLB and every other level.  

I think during/after 2023 is when they shop Mateo.  Mounty or Urias could surprise us though.

OF for SP trade market are teams like Astros, Marlins, Dodgers, Cardinals, White Sox, Guardians, Mets, and Tigers.  They have pitching depth or a stated willingness to trade an SP.  A few of those are tough matches though.

FA SP options (youngest to oldest) - Eflin, Nola, Rodon, Kuhl, Taillon, and Clevinger are the guys I like so far.  A few guys with warts and a few guys who’ll cost.  Perez looks more interesting than I initially though.  Syndergard was more concerning.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Kim Ng wants a true CFer.  Bowden has talked about this a lot on the radio, how it’s something she has been after.

Mullins to the Marlins still makes a ton of sense.  If we could do some kind of deal sending say Mullins, Haskin and Urias to the Marlins for Lopez and a guy like Elder and perhaps another piece, I think that’s a deal that makes a lot of sense for both sides.

I would also still be trying to get Meyer, who perhaps the Marlins are more likely to deal now that he had TJ surgery and will be out next year.

I think the chances of Miami trading Lopez without getting multiple long term controllable players isn’t happening. Mullens, and then you’re probably talking  someone in the 5-10 prospect range (maybe a Mayo) and another top 30 prospect 

1 minute ago, Flash- bd said:

You guys don't think Voth is playing himself into the conversation for next season?

I'm still feeling pretty bullish on Bradish, tbh. 

I loved Bradish’s outing against Texas. We’ve seen a couple times now him dominate when all his stuff was on, but that’s generally not the norm for any sp. What I loved about Texas is a turned in a strong start despite not having his A or even B game 

Just now, seak05 said:

I think the chances of Miami trading Lopez without getting multiple long term controllable players isn’t happening. Mullens, and then you’re probably talking  someone in the 5-10 prospect range (maybe a Mayo) and another top 30 prospect 

I agree. Cedric is still a valuable player, but he's not the guy that's going to bring back a consistent SP by himself.

11 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

You guys don't think Voth is playing himself into the conversation for next season?

Yes, I forgot about him!  And the filter hid him because of his innings.  He would bump Kremer IMO.  But Voth might actually be better than Kremer out of the pen too though...  

17 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

I'm choosing to hold out on whether or not Voth is a guy. The sample is small and his track record is poor. It's a testament to both him and the coaching staff that he's having the success he's having, so we'll see. Ultimately, I think he could be a bullpen weapon if he continues to have success. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, seak05 said:

They would have Mullins for 3 years.  

This is the #1 position they have apparently identified as what they want.

No chance am I spending any money on a SS this offseason, Mateo can hold that down until Henderson or Ortiz push him off and he is eventually traded.

I think we need to go all in on a starting pitcher this off season that can be a TOR guy, in the past I would of thought no chance we can accomplish this but things look different now.  We have an incredibly low pay roll and THE WALL.  Just look at Lyles, he gave up bombs before he came here now they are staying in Camden Yards.  I heard the first HR Mancini hit in Houston is a HR in all stadiums except Camden Yards.  I think we can lure in a big time starter.  

See if we can bring back Lyles.  I know the second year option is a little expensive but he might be worth it.  Or try and sign him to a new deal add another year on it and bring down the cost per year.  He could also be flipped at the deadline if the rest of our guys are looking good and healthy.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

They would have Mullins for 3 years.  

This is the #1 position they have apparently identified as what they want.

I know you identified Kiermaier as a 1 year stop gap option in CF if we traded Mullins but who is our future CF? Are we counting on Cowser? He sounds like a guy that can play CF but not be a true CF. I think Hays might be the OF to move for a starter if we can.