Sunday August 7th - Let’s Get This Sweep

sportsfan8703

3 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

What a bunch of crap. You’re basically saying the catcher doesn’t have the right to catch the ball. A stupid rule created to stop super rare injuries. The thing is, if Allen slides there he probably breaks up the throw. 

Chirinos only stepped in front of the plate to catch the ball.  It's not like he was blocking the plate.  He had to be where he was to catch the ball.

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

The rule changed because of money.  When that SF catcher got hurt right after signing a big contract the Giants cried like babies.  And they changed the rules.   All for contracts.

I'm pretty much in favor of any rule that keeps guys from getting injured.

Same way I'm opposed to intentionally hitting guys to "send a message".

• Upvote 1

Just now, Gurgi said:

The rule changed because of money.  When that SF catcher got hurt right after signing a big contract the Giants cried like babies.  And they changed the rules.   All for contracts.

Yeah, might as well call it the Buster Posey rule.  I'm mean there's an injury from it once in a blue moon, so dumb.

Just now, O's84 said:

Yeah, might as well call it the Buster Posey rule.  I'm mean there's an injury from it once in a blue moon, so dumb.

They pretty much do.

Informally known as the "Buster Posey Rule," some highlights of rule 7.13 include: A runner may not run out of a direct line to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher, or any player, covering the plate.

Just now, Gurgi said:

Yep and the rule is really impossible to apply correctly. There’s too much grey area in these types of plays. If that’s blocking the plate without the ball, then everything is. There was literally nothing else Chirinos could do. They expect catchers to catch the ball standing behind or to the side of the plate. 

There is no reason Allen couldn’t have slid. If he had, Chirinos wouldn’t have received the ball it was so bang bang. 

Geez can we end the Beau Sulser audition?