Jordan Lyles 2023?

wildcard

My first post so take it easy on me but I would pick up the option. We all know pitching depth is critical to a team's success. We could always look to move him at the deadline if we have too much depth.

I am thinking we may acquire pitching via trade instead of FA. I don't see us competing for the Top FA arms(Rodon, Verlander or DeGrom) but there could be a few available via trade(Lopez, Beiber and Snell come to mind). We have the farm system to make that type of move.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Two months ago I would have said picking up his option is a no brainer but now I'd rather spend the money on Clevinger/Perez/Manaea. Yes, you could do both but I kind of doubt this organization would do that.

If it came to signing Manaea or picking up the option on Lyles, you would take Manaea?

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You seem to be thinking that OH posters think that his option should be picked up.   So far that does not seem to be true for the majority of those responding.

This isn’t exactly the first time this has been talked about on here and OH doesn’t represent all Os fans.

There's a $2 million buyout, right? So the difference between keeping him or cutting him is $9 million.

I think he's really valuable to this rotation. I'd rather focus on other options this offseason, but to dismiss the idea that we will keep him would be wrong. We're in such a weird payroll spot too. We could very well get rid of even mildly expensive guys this offseason and end up with starting pitchers comprising like 80% of our payroll.

Just saying that it's all up in the air. But $9 million on a one year deal with a known quantity isn't efficient, but also isn't a bank breaker.

22 minutes ago, DenaOsHon said:

My first post so take it easy on me but I would pick up the option. We all know pitching depth is critical to a team's success. We could always look to move him at the deadline if we have too much depth.

I am thinking we may acquire pitching via trade instead of FA. I don't see us competing for the Top FA arms(Rodon, Verlander or DeGrom) but there could be a few available via trade(Lopez, Beiber and Snell come to mind). We have the farm system to make that type of move.

Welcome.

23 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

There's a $2 million buyout, right? So the difference between keeping him or cutting him is $9 million.

I think he's really valuable to this rotation. I'd rather focus on other options this offseason, but to dismiss the idea that we will keep him would be wrong. We're in such a weird payroll spot too. We could very well get rid of even mildly expensive guys this offseason and end up with starting pitchers comprising like 80% of our payroll.

Just saying that it's all up in the air. But $9 million on a one year deal with a known quantity isn't efficient, but also isn't a bank breaker.

1M buyout according Cots Baseball.

Jordan Lyles rhp
1 year/$7M (2022), plus 2023 option

1 year/$7M (2022), plus 2023 club option

signed by Baltimore as a free agent 12/1/21

$500,000 signing bonus

22:$5.5M, 23:$11M signing bonus ($1M buyout)

$500,000 assignment bonus with each trade

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, DenaOsHon said:

They absolutely should acquire one starter via trade.  They have depth and need to trade from it.

But they can also sign a FA starter and upgrading from Lyles should be a priority.

I think as an SP4/5 he can continue to be valuable at that price, and I think he is a strong fit in the new Camden with his extreme flyball rate. 3 HR allowed at home versus 15 on the road

But the Orioles would need to be proactive to ensure that Lyles doesn't creep up to be its SP3 or SP2.

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

What will 1 yr/ $11 million get you in the '23 free agent market?

Elias claims the budget will be there when the team is ready to compete. This offseason is the time to upgrade the starting rotation given the influx of young talent already on the team plus the soon to be promoted prospects.

Unless the starting rotation can be entirely built from within the organization at some point the Orioles need to get a quality starting pitcher to fill out the rotation. The Orioles can also resign Lyles and add a better #2 or #3 starting pitcher in addition if Elias is given the budget to make upgrades via free agency or trade.

With the recent developments in the Angelos family infighting it might limit what Elias is able to do this offseason in the form of upgrading the major league roster. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

You aren’t adding 2 real starters and keeping Lyles.  It’s a bad use of resources.

It really depends on who you can get this offseason and how they evaluate their current group.

The Orioles are going to have a pretty "cheap" offense so they can afford to go out and get two #1-#2 types and still keep Lyles at $11 million. The question is, "Should they?"

Let's say the Orioles look like this next year:

1. Fa or Trade
2. FA or Trade
3. GRodriguez
4. TWells
5. Kremer/Watkins/Bradish/Hall

Depending on who those #1 and #2 are, I'd be comfortable with this rotation.

Now, we don't know what kind of innings limit GRod will be on so I'm not sure we can count him all season or we're going to see some designed short 3 innings starts. Same thing with Hall, so maybe they piggy back.

Bradish could easily move to the pen and be dominant as well as give you a right-handed Akins.

So looking at the available options next year, IF they acquire two very good starters, then i agree, I don't think it's necessary to pick up Lyles' option. But I do think they could afford it.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They absolutely should acquire one starter via trade.  They have depth and need to trade from it.

But they can also sign a FA starter and upgrading from Lyles should be a priority.

Trade for Lopez, sign someone like Martin Perez or Mike Clevinger and keep Lyles. Add Means, Grayson, Wells, Bradish, Watkins, Kremer and maybe Hall. That is some great depth which we will need to compete.

As long as we also add at least one higher end guy like Syndergaard or Bassitt, sure. Syndergaard/Bassitt/other FA SP, Wells, GrayRod, Lyles, and one of Hall/Kremer/Watkins/etc. would be a pretty decent OD rotation, and Means should be back sometime in the second half.

That said, my preference would be signing both Syndergaard and Bassitt and letting Lyles go eat innings for the Pirates or Nats or some other rebuilding club.