MLB Network: Adley Rutschman: Difference Maker

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

By his age 24 season, Bench already had 154 homers and a 129 OPS+.  Two MVPs and a Rookie of the Year.  Adley has some catching up to do.

Flip side Bench only had 2 career WAR after his age 32 season.    The Orioles will have to buy FA years for us to really care, but in time Adley could be an interesting test case of age vs. wear and tear for a great catcher's knees.

Edited by Just Regular
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gurgi said:

I want the home run power to show up.  

One thing that gives me some pause is Adley never dominated in the minors.  Where Wieters totally destroyed the ball in the minors.   So I want to totally believe in Adley but the lingering disappointment of Wieters is still there.   Wieters was a solid ML player for eight years or so but I want Johnny Bench level play.

I remember being so disappointed seeing Wieters' swing after seeing his numbers in the minors.  He had such an odd way of delivering top spin to the ball.  Obviously he was a good player but not close to what I'd hoped he'd be.

Rutschman is the opposite.  When I watch his at bats I am continually impressed with his batting eye and the good swings he takes.  He's the real deal.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Wieters dominated in his first season in the minors in A+ and AA.   He did not dominate AAA.   He was very good though.  .305 Average and .890 OPS.

Wasn't Harbor Park a pretty extreme pitchers' park back in 2009?  An 890 OPS over 141 at bats is pretty solid from the Catcher position.

5 hours ago, Gurgi said:

One thing that gives me some pause is Adley never dominated in the minors.  Where Wieters totally destroyed the ball in the minors.   So I want to totally believe in Adley but the lingering disappointment of Wieters is still there.   Wieters was a solid ML player for eight years or so but I want Johnny Bench level play.

Welp @Gurgi you got your wish!! 

6 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Ask and you shall receive.  

So, back to the video piece.  That’s a fantastic piece of work.  All kinds of details there about what makes Adley so great.  

I had high expectations for Adley.  He’s exceeding them, and he’s not even hitting on all cylinders yet.   He is an incredibly impactful player.   And you know what?   We have more impactful players on the way.  

• Upvote 1

Adley catching that chest high wild pitch that bounced was amazing.  I get 90% of catchers don't even block that ball, much less catch it like it was a regular pitch.  I thought it was amazing.  Will be interesting to look at Adley's passed ball and wild pitch prevention stats at the end of the year.  They definitely seem elite.

On 8/12/2022 at 2:13 PM, Gurgi said:

Great piece @Tony-OH, if you haven't watched the whole video...it is a must.

@Gurgi, it is easy to make comparisons and have unreal expectations.  Setting Bench as a benchmark...is not really any different that framing Wieters as Jesus.  

However, all you really have to do is watch Adley and you will in fact be just amazed at what he is doing.  You are literally missing one of the best catchers in the game in his first year of play.  When Elias says lift off, he is largely basing that on Adley and those coming behind him.  The Orioles have a better record than 23 teams (I believe) since Adley came up.  

And @Can_of_corn, no one ever hit a Grand Slam off of Jim Palmer in the Major Leagues....in 19 years.  But I fear many missed your reference as Johnny Bench did in fact hit one off of Palmer.  In 1967 in the Minors.  Nice work there COC.

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Seems like he's in just a bit of a funk lately, just 4-25 since 8/8 with not much hard contact.

The good thing about Adley though is that you have a ton of confidence that he'll figure out what's going on and fix it.

Well, he does have 5 walks and 2 sac flies mixed in there.  Even when he’s not hitting it well he’s still having good at bats.  

• Upvote 1