D. J. Stewart

Gentile4

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Santander is at least average in defense when healthy.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's nice that you think that.

To my eye, Santander has more speed and range this year than last year.  But his defensive numbers are not good.    He’s certainly a better OF than Mancini or Stewart, which isn’t saying a lot. 

Edited by Frobby

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Absolutely. It also would give the Os another lefty OBP oriented bat. Honestly Stewart deserves to be on this roster over Nevin.

I don't disagree with this, but it is a scary thought. That Nevin is the best choice for that roster spot is difficult to accept. 

Maybe they can use Stewart as a platoon DH/1st base.  Limit most his ABs to right handers.  I dont want to ever see him in the outfield.  He honestly is a retriever and not a fielder.  He runs to the ball and picks it up.  He does not make plays on the ball.  

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

To my eye, Santander has more speed and range this year than last year.  But his defensive numbers are not good.    He’s certainly a better OF than Mancini or Stewart, which isn’t saying a lot. 

He's probably a bit faster than last year because he is healthier.  It's hard to explain, but I see a lot of stiffness in the way Santander runs and moves.  It drives me crazy.  DJ seems to have the same kind of stiffness.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The lengths posters will go to rip on Mountcastle during one of his slumps.

Stewart 99 wRC+

Mountcastle 111 wRC+

I am not intending to rip on Mountcastle with this post. I guess I just feel like there is some actual ability with DJ Stewart and I'd like to see him get an extended chance before we let loose, though I recognize that is perhaps unrealistic. 

42 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

I am not intending to rip on Mountcastle with this post. I guess I just feel like there is some actual ability with DJ Stewart and I'd like to see him get an extended chance before we let loose, though I recognize that is perhaps unrealistic. 

Stewart has a career .752 OPS against RHP, but his complete lack of fielding ability and speed makes it hard for him to occupy a roster spot in an era of 3 or 4 man benches.

I think Stewart could help out if used as a platoon 1B/DH for the next 1.5 months, but he isn't my first choice on who I would call up. 

51 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Pretty sure Stewart was given a lot of chances…

76CC68C9-1618-4ADD-BEA7-71325B45CA96.gif

• Haha 1

DJ has very good power and plate discipline, which makes me pretty reluctant to just give up on him completely and cut bait. I could easily see another organization getting a hold of him and turning him into Max Muncy, who Oakland gave up on after he hit .195/.290/.321 in ~250 PAs over a couple of partial seasons.

Then the Dodgers scooped him up and tinkered with him, and he has rewarded them with an .850+ OPS and 16+ rWAR over the last 5 years.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

DJ has very good power and plate discipline, which makes me pretty reluctant to just give up on him completely and cut bait. I could easily see another organization getting a hold of him and turning him into Max Muncy, who Oakland gave up on after he hit .195/.290/.321 in ~250 PAs over a couple of partial seasons.

Then the Dodgers scooped him up and tinkered with him, and he has rewarded them with an .850+ OPS and 16+ rWAR over the last 5 years.

They better tinker with Max again.  He's gone full circle.  He's hitting .195 again!

Edited by RZNJ