Kyle Stowers called up

RVAOsFan

32 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Phillips is worse …he has 1 2.4 WAR season in 2021 but beyond that he’s really been bad. I really don’t understand how you get 2.4 WAR for hitting .206/.300/.427. 

here is what I can tell you, Pham has had some key hits against us with both teams. 

FWIW, Odor who is loved and valued by the Orioles has a -.4 WAR. While I don’t like him and wish they would’ve picked up something better he’s had some key hits to tie or win games. So IMO, it’s a flawed stat. But, I’m sure you will tell me why it’s perfect?? 

Of course it’s a flawed stat, but the fact that Odor has had some key hits to tie or win games is pretty irrelevant.  There have been many times that his failure to get on base has killed rallies or simply failed to start one.  Overall his Win Probability Added (which unlike WAR accounts for leverage) is at -0.6.   

Two of his biggest hits this year were homers that occurred after his defensive gaffes that allowed the other team to tie the game or take the lead.  So, great that he hit the homers, but we wouldn’t have needed them if he’d made routine plays on defense.  

Mind you, I’ve already explained that Odor is a big upgrade over last year’s pathetic group at 2B, and I totally believe that his energy and leadership has helped the young players.   But I do think we can do better.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Why complain about Stowers.  Mountcastle and Hays aren't exactly lighting up the box scores.  

There is a whole thread dedicated to their underperformance immediately preceding this one. 

Why complain about anything if there is always something else we could be complaining about instead?

3 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Vavra's been reactivated and Martin sent out, so tomorrow will begin choices between Stowers and Vavra for the Trey Mancini emeritus seat.

Unless both are Pipped for Gunnar and we don't mess with the most common defensive alignment.

So Martin was up for 3 days and the only action he saw was slamming into a Little Leaguer on the Hill?

13 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Why complain about Stowers.  Mountcastle and Hays aren't exactly lighting up the box scores.  

13 hours ago, ChuckS said:

There is a whole thread dedicated to their underperformance immediately preceding this one. 

Why complain about anything if there is always something else we could be complaining about instead?

It's the internet.  No matter how well a team is doing the web finds a way to connect the pathologically bitter and gives them a platform to express their belief that the next inning, the next pitch, the next at bat... it all spells certain doom for the franchise.

• Upvote 1

It took Adley a month to start hitting. I'm just thrilled Stowers is here. What's even funnier is the people who think Gunnar is going to come right up and carry this team into the postseason. The odds that Gunnar looks offensively competent before the end of September are extremely low. I'll be thrilled when they call him up and anything cool he does will be exciting, but it's a move looking towards next year more than it is this year. 

At least - that should absolutely be our expectation. 

Edited by interloper

Just now, interloper said:

It took Adley a month to start hitting. I'm just thrilled Stowers is here. What's even funnier is the people who think Gunnar is going to come right up and carry this team into the postseason. The odds that Gunnar looks offensively competent before the end of September are extremely low. 

I'm guessing this is in Twitter land?  Or the Meta-verse?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm guessing this is in Twitter land?  Or the Meta-verse?

Yeah it's just kind of the vibe I'm getting. Obviously we're all on the same page being excited about him being on the team, and he SHOULD be an upgrade over Odor. But it feels like a lot of people are forgetting how long it took Adley to get his feet under him, and he's one of the best players on the planet. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

It took Adley a month to start hitting. I'm just thrilled Stowers is here. What's even funnier is the people who think Gunnar is going to come right up and carry this team into the postseason. The odds that Gunnar looks offensively competent before the end of September are extremely low. I'll be thrilled when they call him up and anything cool he does will be exciting, but it's a move looking towards next year more than it is this year. 

At least - that should absolutely be our expectation. 

I agree it is more about 2023 than 2022, but even with the acclimating to MLB tax, if I am picking a guy to win an at-bat against Alek Manoah in late September, or Shane Bieber in early October, I like Gunnar with ~100 plate appearances chances better than most of the current lineup.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah it's just kind of the vibe I'm getting. Obviously we're all on the same page being excited about him being on the team, and he SHOULD be an upgrade over Odor. But it feels like a lot of people are forgetting how long it took Adley to get his feet under him, and he's one of the best players on the planet. 

Vavra started hitting quickly.  You just don’t know with young players. In all likelihood, a 700ish OPS is what we are looking at for the rest of the year.

But add in his defense, which will improve the IF assuming Urias slides to second, where he is better than Odor and he’s a worthwhile call Up.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Vavra started hitting quickly.  You just don’t know with young players. In all likelihood, a 700ish OPS is what we are looking at for the rest of the year.

But add in his defense, which will improve the IF assuming Urias slides to second, where he is better than Odor and he’s a worthwhile call Up.

Vavra started quickly then he cooled down.  I wouldn't read too much into it.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No argument here. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Vavra started quickly then he cooled down.  I wouldn't read too much into it.

Yeah I don't like using Vavra as any kind of measuring stick. We still don't really know who he is because he just doesn't get regular playing time. The sample is too small.