Who backs up Adley in 2023?

ChipTait

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I suppose.  He is 24 and has hit .215 with a .677 OPS in the minors. Never played above AA. He's probably going a Paul Bako, Jeff Tackett, Ronny Paulino, Caleb Joseph, Taylor Teagarden kind of player.  Solid defense, .600ish OPS.  Might struggle to hit .200 most years.

It’s 768 this year and his spread between BA and OBP is high. 

If he can provide high level defense, as has been said and give us a 300+ OBP, that’s fine.

The concern is the lack of power, although his slugging way higher in 2022.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s 768 this year and his spread between BA and OBP is high. 

If he can provide high level defense, as has been said and give us a 300+ OBP, that’s fine.

The concern is the lack of power, although his slugging way higher in 2022.

I always assume that players who walk a lot in the minors but don't have much power will see their BB% fall significantly upon promotion.  Remember when Joey Rickard had a .390 OBP in the minors and a .300 in the majors?

Edited by DrungoHazewood

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I always assume that players who walk a lot in the minors but don't have much power will see their BB% fall significantly upon promotion.  Remember when Joey Rickard had a .390 OBP in the minors and a .300 in the majors?

Which is why I said the lack of power is a concern.  But the power is improving and spending any amount of money on a vet back up that isn’t likely to give you much more Handley does is a poor use of resources.  

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Which is why I said the lack of power is a concern.  But the power is improving and spending any amount of money on a vet back up that isn’t likely to give you much more Handley does is a poor use of resources.  

I don't disagree, I wouldn't go spend millions on the next Sal Fasano. But I expect Handley to hit .200/.275/.350.

And I don't know if Handley can frame at all, but hopefully in a few years it won't matter.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Should have kept Wynn.  Is he still a starting catcher?

He’s in San Francisco and was splitting time with Casali, but now backing up Bart who is on a hot streak. Seems to be their ace’s personal catcher.

Handley probably won’t be the main backup, but could be up later in 2023. If they want a “stop gap,” then there are plenty of options. If they want to truly split with Adley, they can shell out some cash. 

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Of course, more goes into that.

Is Chirinos working with the TOR guys, or does he get the “Shuttle Squad” treatment?

We don't have TOR guys or shuttle squad guys? We have 5 decent SPs. 

Chirinos adds an automatic out to the lineup, it weakens the pitching staff, and it weakens the defense behind the plate. He really handicaps this team when he starts. 

• Upvote 2