Roberto Perez (34)
Kevin Plawecki (32)
Austin Romine (34)
Gary Sanchez (30)
Kurt Suzuki (39)
Christian Vazquez (32)
Stephen Vogt (38)
Mike Zunino (32)

One of the better guys on this list probably makes the most sense for next season at least.  Would also love to get Contreras and have him split time between C, 1B and DH -- probably a pipe dream but a nice one.

10 hours ago, yark14 said:

Willson Contreras would be awesome.  Move him around between first, DH, and catching on Adley's rest days.  

This would be creative and not out of the question for a team with an otherwise low payroll. I just assume he’ll get paid too much for the Os.

21 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

This would be creative and not out of the question for a team with an otherwise low payroll. I just assume he’ll get paid too much for the Os.

Not if we don't spend money in places that are already positions of strength, like the whole Correa at SS idea.

1 hour ago, sevastras said:

Handley. He is going to give you plus plus defense and will pretty much give you the offense you expect from a good hitting pitcher. Walk every now and then, move a runner over, run into one occasionally but he is also in there one or two times a week. 

I don’t see him jumping from AA to the MLB. He will atleast get half a season in Norfolk next year and might be up halfway through the year, but no chance does he start off in Baltimore.

11 hours ago, yark14 said:

Not if we don't spend money in places that are already positions of strength, like the whole Correa at SS idea.

Let me put it another way. Contreras would have to accept a contract, including years, where his primary role is as backup catcher and DH, and the O's would have to compensate him for that contract more than other teams will compensate him in $ and years to be a starting catcher.

16 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How bad is Jacob Nottingham defensively?

This is my question, too. I don't mind if they add a couple minor league free agents to get a shot at the back up job, but throw Nottingham and Handley in the competition as well. There should be no need to commit anything beyond league minimum to the position next year.

On 8/25/2022 at 11:57 AM, Ripken said:

I'd be happy to sign an actual good catcher and have time split behind the plate.  AR's bat is so valuable I'd like to lessen the beating he takes back there.  He can do some catching, DHing, and 1B.  

I figured the O's were slightly better with Adley at catcher vs DH but the difference is eye opening.  Since August 1st, the O's are 14-3 when Adley catches, 1-4 when Adley DHs (Chirinos catches) and 0-1 when Adley sits.