Tom Verducci: How the Orioles Became the Most Unlikely Playoff Contender in MLB History

OsFanSinceThe80s

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

No I don’t expect them to do that.  I don’t know that they go get the guys they truly need but I don’t think they believe this team (plus or minus) plus the young kids is enough.

I believe there's a very good chance that token offers are made, we come back with a Lyles type or two, a better backup than Chirinos, various bullpen pieces and call it a day.

Getting Means back, plus G-Rod, plus Henderson and maybe Cowser will be tried to sold as having upgraded enough.  Mind you, that's not what I'm rooting for but I can easily see this outcome.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I believe there's a very good chance that token offers are made, we come back with a Lyles type or two, a better backup than Chirinos, various bullpen pieces and call it a day.

Getting Means back, plus G-Rod, plus Henderson and maybe Cowser will be tried to sold as having upgraded enough.  Mind you, that's not what I'm rooting for but I can easily see this outcome.

It’s possible but I don’t think it happens. 

The Os have to make trades and I think that’s where the concentration will be.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

@Can_of_corn literally just mailed you a valentine. 😍🥰

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think Elias’ statements have implied more aggressive action this winter than this.   I don’t think he would have volunteered those statements if he didn’t mean them.   But we’ll see.  

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's done it before.

Not in my opinion.   You have a tendency to take very general statements and construe them as binding promises, even when circumstances change.  I feel what Elias has said here is more specific and definitive and not something he needed to say.   I expect him to follow through.   It’s more a matter of exactly how much he’ll spend, and on who.   But he’s not talking about the functional equivalent of Odor, Chirinos and Lyles, IMO.

Just now, Frobby said:

Not in my opinion.   You have a tendency to take very general statements and construe them as binding promises, even when circumstances change.  I feel what Elias has said here is more specific and definitive and not something he needed to say.   I expect him to follow through.   It’s more a matter of exactly how much he’ll spend, and on who.   But he’s not talking about the functional equivalent of Odor, Chirinos and Lyles, IMO.

OK, he has in mine.

For instance I think he flat out lied when he said Grayson had a chance to make the team out of Spring training.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

OK, he has in mine.

For instance I think he flat out lied when he said Grayson had a chance to make the team out of Spring training.

Perfect example of what I’m talking about.  Whatever statement he made was long before there was a work stoppage that cut two weeks off spring training.  Grayson appeared once, got hit hard and there just wasn’t enough time to get him another outing.   So I don’t see that as an example of him not following through on what he said.   You do.  That’s fine.   

In my opinion, the statements he made around the trade deadline were of a more definitive nature.  I’ll be way more surprised if he doesn’t spend a decent chunk of change this winter than I was when Grayson was sent to MiL camp.  But, as always, we’ll see what actually happens.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Perfect example of what I’m talking about.  Whatever statement he made was long before there was a work stoppage that cut two weeks off spring training.  Grayson appeared once, got hit hard and there just wasn’t enough time to get him another outing.   So I don’t see that as an example of him not following through on what he said.   You do.  That’s fine.   

In my opinion, the statements he made around the trade deadline were of a more definitive nature.  I’ll be way more surprised if he doesn’t spend a decent chunk of change this winter than I was when Grayson was sent to MiL camp.  But, as always, we’ll see what actually happens.  

EXACTLY.

If Elias said Grayson will have a chance to make the club out of spring training and then Grayson is given TWO INNINGS before being sent down (oh boy he sure got hit hard in the second inning, that proves he isn't ready!).  Then yes, I think Elias lied.

We have seen nothing from him that makes me think that Grayson making the team out of Spring Training was ever in his plan.  With or without a labor issue.

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Elias’ statements have implied more aggressive action this winter than this.   I don’t think he would have volunteered those statements if he didn’t mean them.   But we’ll see.  

He also said he expected the majority of the spending to be on Arbitration raises, now granted that was before he traded Mancini but Elias has a caveat attached to the more aggressive spending. We will see but I'm in the boat that that says John A won't give Elias that much of an increase until he proves e wrong.

• Upvote 1

Just now, AnythingO's said:

He also said he expected the majority of the spending to be on Arbitration raises, now granted that was before he traded Mancini but Elias has a caveat attached to the more aggressive spending. We will see but I'm in the boat that that says John A won't give Elias that much of an increase until he proves e wrong.

Mancini wasn't Arbitration eligible.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Here’s an article from March 17 where Elias says he “hopes” Rodriguez will join the Orioles “early” in the season.   

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/orioles-grayson-rodriguez-didnt-miss-beat-in-spring-training/39468581

Hey cool, another comment I don't think was truthful.

Grayson did everything that could reasonably be expected of him and wasn't up "early".