New pitching coach coming

Sports Guy

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

Looks like the O's  kind of coach.   27 years old. Formerly  Director of Pitching and Biomechanics at Premier Pitching Performance (P3) out of St. Louis. 

Premier Pitching is where Means made his strides to become what he is.  I love that the Orioles are on the cutting edge.  Players are noticing you can bet.  We will become a destination. 

3 hours ago, baltfan said:

Premier Pitching is where Means made his strides to become what he is.  I love that the Orioles are on the cutting edge.  Players are noticing you can bet.  We will become a destination. 

One of my wonders with Big Data and Clubs chasing the right communicators to get the relevant bits onto the field is when does the marginal utility of hiring a consultant/coach/horse whisperer for every significant player run out?

Like, say this is John Means' guy.    He knows him several years, he can translate Sig outputs into John Means speak well...he makes say 80k a year.     How many 80k chunk outlays for the best Orioles give Elias positive ROI?   50?   100?    

9 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

One of my wonders with Big Data and Clubs chasing the right communicators to get the relevant bits onto the field is when does the marginal utility of hiring a consultant/coach/horse whisperer for every significant player run out?

Like, say this is John Means' guy.    He knows him several years, he can translate Sig outputs into John Means speak well...he makes say 80k a year.     How many 80k chunk outlays for the best Orioles give Elias positive ROI?   50?   100?    

Who said he was here just for Means?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Who said he was here just for Means?

No one, but just kicking the can on how Clubs are coming at Coach:Player ratios to optimize performance.

Obviously they could assign him anything they wanted, but I'd be surprised him if his Year 1 isn't at least in part about helping Means along the TJ return track.

19 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

No one, but just kicking the can on how Clubs are coming at Coach:Player ratios to optimize performance.

Obviously they could assign him anything they wanted, but I'd be surprised him if his Year 1 isn't at least in part about helping Means along the TJ return track.

I am not certain I agree. The guy is an accomplished coach early in his career. He's getting a chance in the Orioles minor league system. While the team may have become aware of him through Means, it says he will be a minor league PC. Means will likely be working in Sarasota until he is ready to begin rehab assignments. He may have very little to do with Means rehab. Am I missing something?