Non-Pitching Spending

Bahama O's Fan

I am not interested in a FA position player nor do I think that has any chance of happening.   The only FA that we really need is a TOR type pitcher like Verlander or Rodon.  I don't expect anything major with the exception of that and I'm even skeptical of that happening. 

The Orioles have a lot of positional decisions to make.

Assuming they don’t trade Mountcastle, the entire IF is up for debate.

You could easily bring back the same OF and add Cowser at some point. I would be surprised if they did that but they could.  If they don’t, who do they move on from?

The bench can easily be filled from within.

I do feel like this team needs to add another bat somewhere.

For me, I think everything (position player wise) revolves around SS.  What you do there determines the rest of the IF.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

I just don’t see a high dollar position player I’d want to pursue. Obviously it would be great to have Judge in our lineup, but the contract it would take isn’t something that would be wise. I’d focus on short term, high AAV, contracts for elite SP. 

Do you offer Judge 5 / $250M just to screw with all the other front offices?

The O's are one of the only teams that could afford that contract given our low payroll for the near future.

If another team beats that then it benefits the O's by making someone else overpay.

If Mullins is traded in the Off season I think it would be interesting to go after Trea Turner. He can play CF and hit at the top of the order and still be an insurance policy if Mateo has a sophomore slump. Would depend on years and $ but he's a guy to consider. I would not go too many years with him as speed is a large part of his game and doesn't age well.  Maybe 4/$120M with a 5th year option at $20M based on performance. Opt out at 2 years.

38 minutes ago, bluedog said:

Do you offer Judge 5 / $250M just to screw with all the other front offices?

The O's are one of the only teams that could afford that contract given our low payroll for the near future.

If another team beats that then it benefits the O's by making someone else overpay.

I thought Judge felt Mt. Walltimore was unfair to the game...https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-aaron-judge-pretty-upset-after-camden-yards-new-left-field-wall-costs-him-three-homer-game/

That being said, if he'll take our money and hit 50 homers, I'll forgive him for being a whiney little...you know. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I am not interested in a FA position player nor do I think that has any chance of happening.   The only FA that we really need is a TOR type pitcher like Verlander or Rodon.  I don't expect anything major with the exception of that and I'm even skeptical of that happening. 

I couldn’t agree with this any more! 

Adding an everyday position player would clog up things even more for our young guys being able to play. And next year you have to consider that at least Westburg and Cowser will need to be added to the team at some point. 

Offseason needs to be pitching. Like top rotation top of the market stud as mentioned. That’s the only thing we don’t have that could prevent us from contending for the pennant next year. I would hate to put that pressure on Grayson Rodriguez his first season. 

I believe wholeheartedly we are one Verlander or Rodon away from making a serious run for the World Series next year. 

Gunnar and Adley will be better next year. And Santander has shown he can begin to help anchor the middle of the order. Mountcastle is a hot and cold player. But when he’s hot like he has been this week he can do some serious damage. We may not have that one BIG bat like Judge, but I will take our first 5 next year up against just about anybody.

13 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I thought Judge felt Mt. Walltimore was unfair to the game...https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-aaron-judge-pretty-upset-after-camden-yards-new-left-field-wall-costs-him-three-homer-game/

That being said, if he'll take our money and hit 50 homers, I'll forgive him for being a whiney little...you know. 

Interesting.

Knowing he's going to probably not come to Camden no matter what we offer him because of his hate of the wall, maybe Elias gives him a huge offer just to provide his agent maximum leverage in other negotiations. Also does double duty of showing Elias is serious about spending money on high profile FAs without actually risking getting another Chris Davis contract.

I'm not sure Elias has the balls to play that kind of game of chicken.

25 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I couldn’t agree with this any more! 

Adding an everyday position player would clog up things even more for our young guys being able to play. And next year you have to consider that at least Westburg and Cowser will need to be added to the team at some point. 

Offseason needs to be pitching. Like top rotation top of the market stud as mentioned. That’s the only thing we don’t have that could prevent us from contending for the pennant next year. I would hate to put that pressure on Grayson Rodriguez his first season. 

I believe wholeheartedly we are one Verlander or Rodon away from making a serious run for the World Series next year. 

Gunnar and Adley will be better next year. And Santander has shown he can begin to help anchor the middle of the order. Mountcastle is a hot and cold player. But when he’s hot like he has been this week he can do some serious damage. We may not have that one BIG bat like Judge, but I will take our first 5 next year up against just about anybody.

It doesn’t clog anything if you trade some of what we have for pitching, which is the real point in talking about this imo.

A big part of this is how the organization internally views Stowers and Westburg. 

For me I think Gunnar starts at 3B and slides to SS if Mateo falters. Urias is a valuable player due to his glove. It is also very Dodger like to have players that can play multiple positions. Depth is important.  

It’s possible that Stowers and/or Westburg could be a part of a trade package. 

Could they run the same group back next year and it works plus Cowser? Sure. I still would like to see them add a piece.