Cubs trade DeRosa to Indians; Does this mean Pie for Olson back on??

section36

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IF that's true, wouldn't you think it's more likely that MacPhail is following orders from the owner?

The way you write about MacPhail makes it seem like you think he's choosing this course of action because of his own motivations/m.o./whatever and needs to be held accountable for it.

I enjoy your posts whether they're of an insider nature or not, but the lack of logic between point A and point B in some of them lately is apalling. I'm not putting you on ignore or any nonsense like that, but keep in kind their are numerous posters trying to tell you the same thing. Maybe it's not all of us. Maybe it's you.

(And if it is, no biggie. Ain't met a perfect person yet)

I think his history shows he's one who goes on the cheap. Has he ever signed a major free agent? Big signing bonus to a draft pick? Big dollar extension.

I think his history shows he's one who goes on the cheap. Has he ever signed a major free agent? Big signing bonus to a draft pick? Big dollar extension.

Sammy Sosa would be the big extension, but not signing him would have been like the Orioles not signing Ripken back in the early 90's...

What about your team, the Mets? Especially if we were willing to take back Castillo?

I would like to have a trade with the Mets involving Roberts

Nick Evans, Jon Niese and Daniel Murphy

Nick Evans would fill a 1B hole and Jon Niese could be in our rotation while Daniel Murphy could play LF or 1B.

Does that sound like a fair trade? (I'm no good at making up trades)

I agree which is why we should have taken Smoak this past year who could have been our 1st baseman as soon as 2010, but I've already mentioned that so I won't go there...

The point is we shouldn't keep drafting pitching, and ignore ML ready position players when we have holes all over the IF, and plenty of arms to step up to the rotation.

Eh, if there isn't a position player worth taking over the players on the board, I don't think you pass on pitching because "you have enough". Plenty of picks in the draft and lots of opportunity to add talented players (pitchers and positionals).

The Tejada deal alone trumps those things.

Read the list you made on whatever day it was you made the list, Mr. Koppel.

Also, if the Orioles downgraded from DeRosa to Miles people on here would be all over him.

Trading Marquis was akin to dumping Gibbons.

Bradley's legs may not allow him to be an adequate OF anymore, then what will the Cubs do? DH him against AL teams?

Tejada was over a year ago.

I agree which is why we should have taken Smoak this past year who could have been our 1st baseman as soon as 2010, but I've already mentioned that so I won't go there...

The point is we shouldn't keep drafting pitching, and ignore ML ready position players when we have holes all over the IF, and plenty of arms to step up to the rotation.

We don't have "plenty of arms". We're close. Pitching is an organizational strength. But that doesn't mean we have the arms to package for the kind of low-risk/medium-to-high celing position prospects we need as of yet.

If we're arms-trading, then we're going to have to package #s to get prospects back, just to even out the risk. This requires not a sufficient number of arms, but rather a surplus. And we don't have that. Bergesen, Berken, and David Hernandez are great guys to have in the system, but they're not going to bring anyone back.

Further, we have only 1 ML-ready arm. Which means that we shouldn't even be counting our three best, most advance arms toward the surplus.

I'm for swapping what we have - and think we'll be in better position to do so mid-season (I expect a good year from Erbe, am anxious about Britton's improvement, and hope to see Patton return to the fold) - but even so, the kinds of pitchers we'd be bundling aren't the kind that bring back premium prospects. They can bring back useful prospects at undervalued positions. Say 2B.

Eh, if there isn't a position player worth taking over the players on the board, I don't think you pass on pitching because "you have enough". Plenty of picks in the draft and lots of opportunity to add talented players (pitchers and positionals).

Jordan was said to have thought of Matusz and Smoak equally yet chose Matusz, most likely IMO because MacPhail wanted him to take a pitcher.

I must say, I'm taken aback at the snippy tone by just about everyone today on all sides of the issues being debated.

I think I've said about all I'm going to say. I have some concerns about the approach AM is taking, but I also feel it's premature to judge. That's my personal view. I'm not going to hurl insults at others who feel that there is no need to wait and they have enough basis for judgment already. If that's their view, they are entitled to hold that opinion. If others think AM is doing exactly what he should do, and that moving more dramatically would set the franchise back, that's a valid opinion, too. To me, either position can find plenty of logical support.

I do know this: the season doesn't start until April. There's plenty of time to let the picture come into better focus and that's what I intend to do.

I find it interesting that while I'm critizing the front office, others here are critizing me.

I would like to have a trade with the Mets involving Roberts

Nick Evans, Jon Niese and Daniel Murphy

Nick Evans would fill a 1B hole and Jon Niese could be in our rotation while Daniel Murphy could play LF or 1B.

Does that sound like a fair trade? (I'm no good at making up trades)

Why would the Mets do that? They give up their 4th/5th starter and most of their corner IF/OF depth to get a player who plays the same position as Castillo and they're still stuck with Castillo.

I find it interesting that while I'm critizing the front office, others here are critizing me.

You're free to criticize the FO all you like, but I think starting a new thread once a day on the same subject is bound to draw this type of attention to you.

Jordan was said to have thought of Matusz and Smoak equally yet chose Matusz, most likely IMO because MacPhail wanted him to take a pitcher.

Rhall posted this once:

I remember in last year's draft Joe Jordan was trying to decide between two players (the other was believed to be Justin Smoak) and his inner dialogue went something like this, "We don't have anyone like this guy, so just take him and never look back. He's the guy we want." That's a little paraphrase, per my memory. It was in an article (Orioles.com?) but I don't have the time to search for it.

Archived