Cubs trade DeRosa to Indians; Does this mean Pie for Olson back on??

section36

No difference between Johnny and anyone else about the use of the term. I think it's derisive and ridiculous.

I'm not going to tell anyone they shouldn't use it, but if you're going to use it...shouldn't it be used accurately?

I'm not sure why you're all over me here, and frankly, I can't separate when you're being sarcastic from when you're not. I'm not even sure what "point" you're alluding to.

I'm just responding to his insult. On his terms. That seems pretty fair to me.

Totally fair, and I get that a lot. Mostly, I'm not sarcastic, but for some reason, people often think I am (or rather, that I'm indirect).

I don't mean to go after you. You're a good poster and I like the discussion. You take the time to respond to my posts. I didn't realize where the Kool Aid expression came from, but all in all, I think it's become harmless, especially in Orioles related discussions and media blogs.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Probably a good risk. Penn's star has fallen and he is out of options, which is exactly why the Indians won't make this trade. Garko's o.k., definitely better than Millar, but not really an upgrade over Huff at 1st and Reimold in LF, which the Orioles won't do anyway.

But Garko is also under control for a good while.

Ok how has it gotten better since AM has arrived?

Thanks for asking this question because it really forced me to consider how much the organization has improved under MacPhail.

At the Major league level we did not win as much as we hoped but we did score a lot of runs.

In terms of position players, at the major league level we are improved at catcher, shortstop, centerfield, and leftfield.

By several objective accounts, i,e, Baseball Prospectus, Baseball America and John Sickels our minor league is much improved.

Our minor league pitching depth is greatly improved since MacPhail arrived.

The organization in general has taken a broader perspective in terms of scouting, increasing efforts in asia and the dominican.

He hired what I consider to be an outstanding manager who, when he gets the pieces, will lead this team to success.

I like the additions to the front office staff he has made.

Although he has not acted as quickly as some people would like, he has stayed true to his plan.

After 11 years of losing people are getting more desperate and more impatient then ever. It's to be expected. Remember, it's those that keep their wits while all those around them are losing theirs who will be successful.

1. The Markakis extension should have been wrapped up last summer.

2. We should have made some trades at the deadline but opted not to.

3. We allowed our early success of the season blur our vision.

4. Bradford doesnt get dealt for nothing.

5. Making Roberts out to be a bad guy.

I agree with most of this. AM stated that the Bradford deal was bad in hindsight. Fine, people make mistakes. The bigger issue is what you pointed out concerning last year's trade deadline. I definitely think the FO's perspective was blurred into thinking that the team was closer to competing than they actually were.

I also think that the time before AM made the Tejada and Bedard trades gets overlooked. He made a minor move trading Trachsell to the Cubs, but he had six months when he basically was in assessment mode. He should have assessed in that time accurately what it would take to get the team to a competitive level and made the corresponding moves.

Personally, I'm not going to say he's done a bad job yet. I do know that there is not enough talent now to win by 2010 (either at the ML level or in the minors). We should know by May 2010 if he's done enough.

Thanks for asking this question because it really forced me to consider how much the organization has improved under MacPhail.

At the Major league level we did not win as much as we hoped but we did score a lot of runs.

In terms of position players, at the major league level we are improved at catcher, shortstop, centerfield, and leftfield.

By several objective accounts, i,e, Baseball Prospectus, Baseball America and John Sickels our minor league is much improved.

The organization in general has taken a broader perspective in terms of scouting, increasing efforts in asia and the dominican.

He hired what I consider to be an outstanding manager who, when he gets the pieces, will lead this team to success.

Although he has not acted as quickly as some people would like, he has stayed true to his plan.

After 11 years of losing people are getting more desperate and more impatient then ever. It's to be expected. Remember, it's those that keep their wits while all those around them are losing theirs who will be successful.

Wow, great post. Still we don't all think AM is right all of the time, but we will concede where he has improved us.

True, true. I would do the trade, but Penn isn't what I consider a prospect at this point and I don't think anyone would trade for him with his history and being out of options.

Which is why we should have tried to trade him in the past. The current path we have is either our prospects will make it to Baltimore or they will leave the system via free agency or out of options.

They can also be used as trade bait.

Which is why we should have tried to trade him in the past. The current path we have is either our prospects will make it to Baltimore or they will leave the system via free agency or out of options.

They can also be used as trade bait.

Yes they can be used as trade bait, but really what value has Penn had the last two years.

Mark me down as someone who'd love to get Garko over here. Maybe not an upgrade over Huff in '09, but what about beyond that? Huff will probably be out of town after this season. Garko's still relatively young, gets on base, has some power, drives in runs ... he'd be a nice addition for sure. Penn for Garko? Heck yea, but Cleveland would be silly to accept / offer that IMO.

Good list.

Why? Is my point not valid?

Your point is very valid, but we've been hearing about a new first baseman in this organization for YEARS. Let me turn the tables a bit...what if we are here at this time NEXT season, and we STILL haven't acquired a first baseman? Are we going to give it another year?

Sorry...not jumping on you personally...just fed up with the "we'll take care of it next year" stuff.

Archived