Cubs trade DeRosa to Indians; Does this mean Pie for Olson back on??

section36

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you want our GM to deal minor league pitchers with perceived value for journeyman relievers? That's a good GM to you? Gosh I really wish we had that bold, fast moving GM back.

You are now on my ignore list... Where did I say that? Beattie saw a need for the major league club and addressed by trading a suspect that didn't pan out.

BFD!

Why, we didn't get anything for him. What in the world did Grimsley do for us? And better yet, what was he suppose to do for us?

You're really not making sense with your Bautista argument. Even if you have a prospect you don't think will amount to much, you 100% of the time should hold onto him instead of dealing him for an old, spare part on a bad team.

So it's better to have them never develop in the system then cut them vs trading them and addressing a need on the major league team. Lord knows why Beattie thought that was a good deal but he was right about Bautista.

For 2009 yes... for the long term 1B, 2B, 3B, and DH holes are the issue. With the exception of Reimold there's nothing we can really count on in the pipe line.

I wouldn't loose too much sleep over a DH, I think Huff may be at 1B for a while (and I think it could be justified), I agree on 3B, and I am guessing 2B is one of the easier positions to fill with a younger player. 2B seems to be where all the "miss" (of the hit and miss) infielders go to die. Replacing "Roberts" will be harder then replacing a 2B.

As for Huff, with the way the FA market is looking, I would not be surprised to see the O's try to extend Huff, (worst case being a DH if you find another young 1B). Huff put up MVP numbers last year and it really started in the 2nd half of the year before. If we were looking at Tex (same numbers as Huff last year, but going into this season 2 years younger) and Dunn (Not as good numbers as Huff, going into this year 2 tears younger then Huff).

Just to ask....If Huff continue to put up the same numbers as he has for the last 1.5 seasons (as many would assume from other FA...Tex and Dunn would continue to do) Would it have made sense to extend Huff for 6 years making up for the age difference between him and Tex (compared to the contract we were willing to offer), or 2-3 years to make up for the age difference between him and Dunn (compared to the contract many here would like to offer). I would Imagine :rolleyes:Huff could be had cheaper then either of those two and possibly be putting up similar numbers, for the next 2-3 years. At the very least I would Imagine pound for pound (pound = $$$$) that Huffs numbers would be better then both.

He may have been right about Bautista but he was not right about that being a good deal...it was a bad deal when he made it and it is still a bad deal looking back.

Grimsley was the main reason it was a bad deal in 2004 and he is the reason it is a bad deal now.

I do understand what you're saying about players seemingly making it to Baltimore, or they totally flop and are cut/phased out, and that's it.

Alot of that has to do with the previous regimes though and I don't think that it's fair to judge AM on that right now, because we don't have a lot of middling/above average minor league talent. It's either top tier that we aren't trading, young talent lower in the minors like Rowell and Snyder, or it is guys like Bergeson, Hernandez, Hoey who might have some value to us but there aer also guys like that in every organization, so you aren't going to get much for them.

Reimold is an example of an above average minor leaguer that could be good traide bait, but he is about the only person in our system that fits in that category IMO.

Liz and Olson did last year but their performance at the major league level may have tarnished that a bit, although it was absolutely the right move to let them play as much as they did last season.

AM wanted to deal Olson for Pie...He showed he is willing to deal his young player, for a young player that might not be as guaranteed to help in some way but has much higher potential.

BB do you have any examples of where you would have traded minor league talent for major leaguers??? I'd like to see what you are thinking.

I probably would have traded a young reliever to Florida for Mike Jacobs since we have nothing in the 1B pipe line.

I probably would have traded a young reliever to Florida for Mike Jacobs since we have nothing in the 1B pipe line.

I really think we need to be talking to Kansas City. I'd like to somehow get Butler, Shealy, or Kila from them. Seems like with Jacobs in the fold there that they do have a surplus of 1B/DH types.

I really think we need to be talking to Kansas City. I'd like to somehow get Butler, Shealy, or Kila from them. Seems like with Jacobs in the fold there that they do have a surplus of 1B/DH types.

And KC is in need for relievers after trading their best ones.

Yeah, this is a great idea. Mike Jacobs is a really overrated player (and most people don't even think he's that good to begin with). Personally, Kila's numbers look intriguing - he strikes out a ton, but unlike Jacobs he also knows how to draw a walk. The sample size is tiny, but his minor league equivalency from last year's AAA numbers (if he moves to baltimore) is .262/.358/.501, which is pretty darn good for someone who's gonna get like 200 at bats if he stays in Kansas City.

Yeah, this is a great idea. Mike Jacobs is a really overrated player (and most people don't even think he's that good to begin with). Personally, Kila's numbers look intriguing - he strikes out a ton, but unlike Jacobs he also knows how to draw a walk. The sample size is tiny, but his minor league equivalency from last year's AAA numbers (if he moves to baltimore) is .262/.358/.501, which is pretty darn good for someone who's gonna get like 200 at bats if he stays in Kansas City.

Wow...I'd take those numbers in a heartbeat!

Wow...I'd take those numbers in a heartbeat!

Yeah - the sample size is just over 100 at bats, though, and obviously minor league equivalency is just a guessing game. It just makes me wonder - why did the Royals make this trade? Surely they're not thinking of competing next season - so why not give guys like Butler and Kila a chance? Worst case scenario, you win 70 games instead of 75; best case, they become the next Pujols and single-handedly carry your team into contention.

Archived