Cubs trade DeRosa to Indians; Does this mean Pie for Olson back on??

section36

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How long did it take the Rays to become a play off team? You can't blame Andy for the years we did nothing to improve our farm system before he got here. That stink falls on the previous administration, who I believe some on this board wishes was still here to funnel them info.

MacPhail needs to take into account the number of losing seasons we've had before he came. We don't want to have to suffer for 4-5 more seasons on top of the previous 11 unless we know we are going to win and we don't know that with MacPhail's model.

We are relying on too many things that have to go right with all young homegrown talent and trading for prospects.

The pitching and hitting will both have to develop at the same time for us to have a chance. And with our system that's asking a whole lot...

http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/espnradio1000/blog?id=3738908&post=3802362

So maybe these pitchers will go to the Pads?

RHP Jeff Stevens, RHP Chris Archer and LHP John Caub.

It's actually John Gaub.

FWIW to the extent that this deal sets a precedent for the trade value of a 2B a year from FA, I don't see MacPhail getting an offer for Roberts he likes.

Why the Dodgers, they have DeWitt.

Looks to me like he mostly platooned with Blake at 3B last season - the main 2B was Jeff Kent, who saw a significant decline in performance, and also is a really bad fielding second baseman.

It's actually John Gaub.

FWIW to the extent that this deal sets a precedent for the trade value of a 2B a year from FA, I don't see MacPhail getting an offer for Roberts he likes.

I think you are right, and we'll just have to take picks for Roberts or deal him at the deadline if AM can actually pull the trigger on a deadline trade.

So does waiting for MacPhail to make a genuine push to improve this team for the future.

You are so bitter about Tex it is ridiculous.

Andy has done many things that set us up well for the future. We have a rotation's worth of strong arms in the minors just incubating right now, waiting to come up.

Macphail has been stocking the minors, he pulled off to big trades last year that netted us young players that have vaulted our system from the bottom third of the baseball to the top 10.

He signed the best young arm coming out of college , who just so happened to be rated the 2nd best prospect in the AFl and is a top 10 prospect in all of baseball.

He cleared room for the best prospect in baseball to take over as soon as possible.

MacPhail has his plan, a plan that EVERYONE was okay with before this whole Tex thing.

Having said that, can MacPhail do more? Yes. Lets see how the offseason pans out.

No kidding.

Evidently, lots of folks think AM should run the franchise based on giving message-board posters headline news in time for Christmas.

It's sad, especially for a site that likes to pride itself about how knowledgeable its posters are. But, that's just how it is...

Agreed. I think it is amazing what a PR disaster the Tex thing became here and elsewhere. My opinion of AM hasn't ever been higher honestly. My only critique is that he needs to manage expectations better. I am also not one to set a timeline on when I will consider him a success or a failure. I think if we see improvement in player development, our overseas presence and a bigger role in latin america but haven't hit .500 by 2011 we will still have seen significant progress.

The whole thing about him being methodical, well how would we be viewing the assumed Roberts trade had we made it back in the spring now? I don't think very favorably.

Nah, we're only in Year 2 of the "5 Year Plan." AM should be allowed to do whatever he wants for the next few years, no questions asked. :rolleyes:

I know it sounds very elementary, but not one person posting here has any idea what AM has attempted to do, plans to do or is in the process of doing. Picking apart each speculated blurb from a media outlet , another message board, or from an "insider" should not reflect directly on AM and his staff. Ill join you in line for the bashing when in June Sexson is playing 1st and we head into a weekend series with a pitching line-up of Hendrickson, Redding and Odalis Perez.

But until that day comes, I suggest the pessimists all reserve judgement for the product on the field and not the product of off-season rumor mills.

Making moves just to make moves is never a smart plan. This is a marathon and not a sprint. I want to see a winning product just as badly as any other fan, but I would rather see us rise back to a franchise that is strong year in and year out, then to rush into a "win the fans back"..."make some sexy moves" plan , just to see us win 85 games and then flame right back out.

How long did it take the Rays to become a play off team? You can't blame Andy for the years we did nothing to improve our farm system before he got here. That stink falls on the previous administration, who I believe some on this board wishes was still here to funnel them info.

I keep seeing people bring up the Rays and how long it took them. This is just not true. Chuck LaMar ran that organization nearly into the ground. He was a horrible GM who had no idea what he was doing. He was the GM until 2005. It wasn't until after he got fired that the Rays developed a comprehensive plan to get competitive. I'll give AM the same amount of time: 2 years. AM gets last season and 09. By 2010 the Orioles better be in the World Series.

It wasn't until after he got fired that the Rays developed a comprehensive plan to get competitive. I'll give AM the same amount of time: 2 years. AM gets last season and 09. By 2010 the Orioles better be in the World Series.

So if we win the AL pennant you'll be calling for Mcphail's head?:rolleyes:

My only critique is that he needs to manage expectations better.

Seems to me that he's been remarkably honest and straightforward about it.

The problem is that lots of people either ignore what he's said, or pretend he said something else, or else just don't believe that what he said is true.

So if we win the AL pennant you'll be calling for Mcphail's head?:rolleyes:

No, and I didn't suggest that. What I stated was that people have the wrong idea about the Rays. LaMar made very bad moves. He spent money very unwisely and made horrible trades. He had lots of draft picks, but had no idea how to construe a winner. Then I stated that I would give AM the same amount of time that it took Andrew Friedman. I was expressing frustration with those who think that it took the Rays 10 years to build a winner.

Archived