Brenan Hanifee - Should he be protected?

wildcard

Hanifee was a 4th round selection in the 2016 draft.  He turned age 24 on May 29th. He had Tommy John surgery May of 2021.    He has been working his way back as a starter at Bowie.  He now has reached 5 innings in 3 of his last  5 starts.  His stats a Bowie are:

2-1, 4.03 ERA, 10 S,  38 IP, 29 H,   12 BB, 35 K,  1.08 WHIP,  .204 avg.

He will be eligible for the Rule 5 draft this fall.   He is someone to watch in his final starts to see how he ends the season.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Hanifee was a 4th round selection in the 2016 draft.  He turned age 24 on May 29th. He had Tommy John surgery May of 2021.    He has been working his way back as a starter at Bowie.  He now has reached 5 innings in 3 of his last  5 starts.  His stats a Bowie are:

2-1, 4.03 ERA, 10 S,  38 IP, 29 H,   12 BB, 35 K,  1.08 WHIP,  .204 avg.

He will be eligible for the Rule 5 draft this fall.   He is someone to watch in his final starts to see how he ends the season.

He probably is also eligible to be a 6-year minor league FA which might be more of a reason to add him to the 40 man.  For the rule 5, I would have said no.  

I haven't seen anything in his middling stuff that indicates he's somebody that needs to be protected or will be taken. He's a low 90s sinkerballer with a inconsistent slider and change. Unfortunately, he did not get a bump in velocity that some pitchers get after TJ surgery.  He's a NP for me from what I've seen in his return unfortunately.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I haven't seen anything in his middling stuff that indicates he's somebody that needs to be protected or will be taken. He's a low 90s sinkerballer with a inconsistent slider and change. Unfortunately, he did not get a bump in velocity that some pitchers get after TJ surgery.  He's a NP for me from what I've seen in his return unfortunately.

That sounds like a right-handed version of TJ McFarland (Rule V talk has me thinking on past selections). Given the amount of players that should be protected and limited 40 man spots (especially if we add outside FAs to try and be more competitive in '23) I feel like unfortunately Hanifee doesn't make the cut.

If he doesn't get selected maybe he resigns as a MiLB FA, he is from central VA so it's pretty close to home if he wants to stay nearby. 

6 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

That sounds like a right-handed version of TJ McFarland (Rule V talk has me thinking on past selections). Given the amount of players that should be protected and limited 40 man spots (especially if we add outside FAs to try and be more competitive in '23) I feel like unfortunately Hanifee doesn't make the cut.

If he doesn't get selected maybe he resigns as a MiLB FA, he is from central VA so it's pretty close to home if he wants to stay nearby. 

Luckily no opinions here actually matter