Orioles claim catcher Cam Gallagher

Legend_Of_Joey

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, I think this about just having a AAA caliber catcher to finish off the year.

Why would they use a 40 man roster spot for that? They could just bring up Handley if Ramirez and Roberts aren’t good enough, no?

Could it be that Chirinos is heading out? Gallagher up to replace him? 

3 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Why would they use a 40 man roster spot for that? They could just bring up Handley if Ramirez and Roberts aren’t good enough, no?

Maybe they like him for next year?  I can’t see them letting Chirinos go at this point. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

No idea really. I would have sent Handley up to split time with Roberts. I doubt they are going to replace Chirnios now although he's pretty obviously not a major league player at this point in his career.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Maybe they like him for next year?  I can’t see them letting Chirinos go at this point. 

Perhaps, but he doesn't seem like a guy you waste a 40-man roster spot for. If they really like him as Adley's caddy next year, I get the feeling they could have gotten him on a minor league deal. 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Perhaps, but he doesn't seem like a guy you waste a 40-man roster spot for. If they really like him as Adley's caddy next year, I get the feeling they could have gotten him on a minor league deal. 

Maybe he is here for a second and then someone else is added. Chirinos is off the 40 the second the season is over. 

Then see if they add a better backup after the season is over and then he gets let’s go. I can’t see them carrying more than 2 catchers on the 40. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't see why you worry about next year's backup catcher during the season.

See what's available during the offseason and send Maverick to winter ball.

I feel like both Cody Roberts and Maverick Handley have good defensive reputations and are improving on offense, and they already are familiar with a lot of the pitching, you'd think they'd be the cheap pick for backup next season.

Related question: If a player is DFA'd and claimed in that cycle, can they decline the optional assignment if they are DFA'd by the claiming team? I know a player cannot decline a minor league assignment when DFA'd for the first time and they go unclaimed (unless they have enough major league service time), but if a team claims that player who is DFA'd for the first time, essentially pausing the DFA process, and the claiming team then DFA's them, can they decline the assignment? That's probably way too confusing and not worth someones time to read, but I was just trying to figure out the strategy behind this waiver claim.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see why you worry about next year's backup catcher during the season.

See what's available during the offseason and send Maverick to winter ball.

Certainly a valid question. Gotta imagine they like his defense, but his stick is not going to bring a lot of value.

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Yeah, maybe not. But they might want to get a look at the Gallagher kid as a back up for next year. IDK, just a thought. Adley needs a capable back up. Robby seems like a great dude, but it’s apparent the team has hit a wall.