It's time to play the players of the future

casadeozo

I understand the trades of Mancini and Lopez but in hindsight we really hurt having not having a professional bat in the middle of the order.   Lopez hurt less but his arm likely would of been a boon also.   

And if we had been all in for the playoff spot a month and a half ago I think it would of been better bringing up Gunnar and Westburg.   Gunnar was a great help.  Imagine what two months of Gunnar could of done.   We could of benched Odor and used Urias at second.   Odor was a black hole in the line up the last month .

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

I understand the trades of Mancini and Lopez but in hindsight we really hurt having not having a professional bat in the middle of the order.   Lopez hurt less but his arm likely would of been a boon also.   

And if we had been all in for the playoff spot a month and a half ago I think it would of been better bringing up Gunnar and Westburg.   Gunnar was a great help.  Imagine what two months of Gunnar could of done.   We could of benched Odor and used Urias at second.   Odor was a black hole in the line up the last month .

No chance Elias was going to risk Gunnar's 2023 rookie status.

It does seem odd to sit Stowers so much.  One idea I think is maybe they were hoping that Hays would really turn it around and boost his offseason trade value.   He cant turn his numbers around if he is sitting.   This might be the reason.   

You think Elias would want a good look at Stowers before going into this off-season.

As it’s been mentioned with the expected surplus of outfield talent that will rise up, there is a potential for trades to be made.

With Stowers it’s hard to evaluate his ability to be a starting outfielder if he doesn’t get playing time. It also makes him a potential trade asset if he  does well in a starting spot.

I’m not advocating for one way or the other with Stowers, but the more trade assets Elias has at his disposal the better. 

This is not a hard question to answer.

The O's have turned the team around this year based on pitching and defense.  That is why Hays plays.  His defense is superior.   He has the range to play left field in Camden Yards.   Stowers  does not have that kind of range. Period.

Elias and Hyde knew that Hays had a good 1st half offensively.  They knew he was playing hurt in the 2nd half which effected his offense but not his defense.  They expected he would get over the injury and hit better.  It has not happen.

The hitting philosophy the O's have embraced does not seem to work.  Emphasizing hitting the ball hard on the barrel has a side effect of making hitters lengthen their swings. Which leads to a lot of fly outs.   Hays and Mountcastle are the poster children for that.  But Stowers has the same issue.  Long swings.

I don't know how eliminating the shift will effect hitting next season but on its own the O's need to re-evaluate their hitting philosophy.

JMO

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

This is not a hard question to answer.

The O's have turned the team around this year based on pitching and defense.  That is why Hays plays.  His defense is superior.   He has the range to play left field in Camden Yards.   Stowers  does not have that kind of range. Period.

Elias and Hyde knew that Hays had a good 1st half offensively.  They knew he was playing hurt in the 2nd half which effected his offense but not his defense.  They expected he would get over the injury and hit better.  It has not happen.

The hitting philosophy the O's have embraced does not seem to work.  Emphasizing hitting the ball hard on the barrel has a side effect of making hitters lengthen their swings. Which leads to a lot of fly outs.   Hays and Mountcastle are the poster children for that.  But Stowers has the same issue.  Long swings.

I don't know how eliminating the shift will effect hitting next season but on its own the O's need to re-evaluate their hitting philosophy.

JMO

Except Hays gets poor jumps and reads on the ball.

The Orioles defense has been good this year but it can be a lot better on the COF spots.  The Orioles really need a vast position player improvement in the offseason, as well as some pitching upgrades, to truly contend in 2023.

I suspect they don't like his defense. I think someone on OH compared him to DJ Stewart. I haven't seen enough to judge myself but he definitely doesn't look like a plus defender out there. Adley takes 1/3 of his potential DH ABs, and Hyde likes to stack RHB against LHP. That doesn't leave many ABs. 

Same situation basically as Vavra.

The use of Stowers also tells me they are holding onto Santander.