It's time to play the players of the future

casadeozo

I would go ahead and cut Aguilar and Odor at this point. 

Most nights I would go

CF - Mullins - Maximize his stats, if he finishes strong, he could be trade bait; he's at 3.4 WAR, 5.7 last year

C - Adley - He will need rest, so he gets to DH a couple nights a week too; give him a run at ROY

DH - Santander - Again, maximize ABs. Power hitting Switch hitter with OPS+ of 123, could reach 30 HRs,yet only 2.1 WAR, so look for a buyer this offseason

SS - Gunner - Time to get his licks. Mateo has been okay, but I want to see if Gunner can handle the position before moving into next year. Mateo could become trade bait. Give him a couple starts a week, possibly at 2B too

3B - Urias - Sneaky 3.6 WAR, and his 5.7 career WAR is better than Santanders 4.8. I think his ABs need to be maximized as well, and might as well keep him at 3B as he could be in consideration for a Gold Glove. Again, more trade bait as he will be 29 next year

RF - Stowers - It's time to see if he can be a part of the starting OF next year bc Cowser will be coming soon too and Stowers could use the head start.

1B - Mountcastle - Personally, I don't think he has much trade value at the moment, but there isn't really another option at 1B. He's at 1.0 WAR, and maybe he can catch another hot streak at the end of the year and we can see if we can frame his value around getting him away from "The Wall" much like we did with Mancini.

2B - Vavra - He needs ABs in order to figure out if he can be the 10th man on the team next year. I still think his OBP skills can be an asset. Either way, if he has some success in this last month, he could be of value to the team next year or in a trade.

LF - McKenna - Hays doesn't have any trade value at the moment, and he might be banged up still. Let McKenna finish out most nights in LF and see if his bat can play with consistent ABs. If he performs, he might be a trade chip in a multiplayer deal

Bench - Mateo, Hays, Chirinos

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This team is done as a playoff contender so it's time to play guys they need to evaluate and gain experience. Aguilar never had a role on this team and has done exactly what he was doing with the Marlins, nothing. Stowers should be in the lineup on most days and Vavra as well. 

I don't know Vavra has a role on the 2023 team, but its time to give him everyday at bats now. Stowers needs experience seeing major league pitching and he hits lefties well, so he should be in the lineup on most days as well. 

I hope this message gets to Elias!

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Stowers has hit lefties his entire minor league career. It's one of the things I've always like about him.

So then my question what is the reason for it? Is it Hyde just being hard headed and refusing to give him an opportunity?

This makes me wonder if hes the right manager to lead a potential youth movement contending team.

52 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

100% agreed. Aguilar was a headscratcher from Day 1. Right up there with Brett Phillips. I'd like to see Odor relegated to the bench for good. as well

How poorly this club has hit down the stretch is why Aguilar is here. Has he helped? no but I get why they brought him in.  

6 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

So then my question what is the reason for it? Is it Hyde just being hard headed and refusing to give him an opportunity?

This makes me wonder if hes the right manager to lead a potential youth movement contending team.

I would wonder that too, but I'm not convinced Hyde makes the lineup out.

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

I've felt this way since the debacle against Toronto this week. They put together a really nice season, but it's time to start planning for the future. 

There's a plenty of questions even if Stowers and Vavra can be of some help. 

Stowers needs experience and he needs to know he's going to be in the lineup everyday. Vavra i have more questions about with limited power and defensive questions.

They have used DH as a mix and match spot. Santander has played in field a good bit lately.  

I think it has been a mix of facing a couple of reverse splits guys and LHP which has lead to less of Stowers. I think he starts more than he sits rest of way. Vavra will probably get more looks as well. Have to keep Gunnar, Urias and Mateo playing. They obviously don’t care for Vavra’s defense.