It's time to play the players of the future

casadeozo

1 hour ago, JR Oriole said:

He can't be the only one with that line over the last 15 games.  Feels like that is the entire team's line during this stretch.

Aguilar .111 OPS 

Vavra .250

McKenna .322

Mateo .374

Hays .520

Chirinos .566

Odor .602

Urias .670

Mountcastle .672

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Mateo’s last 15 games: .122/.170/.204.   Fifteen games is a long time to be that cold.  He needs a little break.  

Appears he has hit a wall. .658 OPS for the season now matches his career OPS. Looks like his hot streak was more of an aberration than a trend. I still think he can be valuable but mostly for defense. 

To Tony's point, I was surprised Hyde did not use Vavra to hit for Mateo leading off the 9th yesterday. Would have been the natural spot for him. 

39 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Appears he has hit a wall. .658 OPS for the season now matches his career OPS. Looks like his hot streak was more of an aberration than a trend. I still think he can be valuable but mostly for defense. 

To Tony's point, I was surprised Hyde did not use Vavra to hit for Mateo leading off the 9th yesterday. Would have been the natural spot for him. 

Barnes has a significant reverse split in OPS the last three seasons (2022: .736 RH hitters / .688 LH; 2021: .670 / .576; 2020: .866 / .493). He is exactly even throughout his career: .697 both sides.

So I understand Hyde's decision, especially since Mateo has provided an XBH 9.3% of his at-bats and Vavra only 1%.

Edited by LA2

1 minute ago, LA2 said:

Barnes has a significant reverse split in OPS the last three seasons (2022: .736 RH hitters / .688 LH; 2021: .670 / .576; 2020: .866 / .493). He is exactly even throughout his career: .697 both sides.

So I understand Hyde's decision, especially since Mateo has provided an XBH 9.3% of his at-bats and Vavra only 1%.

Good catch on splits, I guess I can see it. I still think Vavra is a better guy to get on base, and we need a baserunner to score. If you are praying for an XBH or HR in the 9th it seems to almost never work out. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Good catch on splits, I guess I can see it. I still think Vavra is a better guy to get on base, and we need a baserunner to score. If you are praying for an XBH or HR in the 9th it seems to almost never work out. 

Yes, I understand, but when you're down by only one run at home, it becomes something you hope for especially when the rest of the lineup has been unable to advance runners on its own.

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Also, Vavra was not even available!!

Vavra had come in to replace the injured Odor in the field and Hyde pulled switches that would ensure that Mullins, batting in Odor's #8 spot, and Rutschman, as a PH for Chirinos (#9), would bat in the ninth behind Mateo. Vavra would have followed Rutschman had anyone reached base.

6 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Also, Vavra was not even available!!

Vavra had come in to replace the injured Odor in the field and Hyde pulled switches that would ensure that Mullins, batting in Odor's #8 spot, and Rutschman, as a PH for Chirinos (#9), would bat in the ninth behind Mateo. Vavra would have followed Rutschman had anyone reached base.

Ah, got it. I'm confused by the MLB.com Gameday. From the way it appears, it has Mullins and Vavra as defensive subs in the beginning of the inning. 

A lot of overreaction in here.

First, nobody is getting cut.  Odor and Chirinos are going to finish out the season on the major league roster.

Second, other than Grayrod, they're unlikely to call anyone else up.  And he'll only be up if it makes sense for his development.

Odor's ABs will be scaled back if they fall further out of contention.  But they're not going to nail him to the bench, and it really isn't going to have a major impact on the amount of ABs available to guys like Henderson, Stowers, and Vavra.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Pickles said:

A lot of overreaction in here.

First, nobody is getting cut.  Odor and Chirinos are going to finish out the season on the major league roster.

Second, other than Grayrod, they're unlikely to call anyone else up.  And he'll only be up if it makes sense for his development.

Odor's ABs will be scaled back if they fall further out of contention.  But they're not going to nail him to the bench, and it really isn't going to have a major impact on the amount of ABs available to guys like Henderson, Stowers, and Vavra.

This.  While I would like to see them play Stowers and Vavra more often starting now, my gut tells me that they're going to continue to play as they have over the next 5 games.  If they come out of Toronto in the same or worse position, I anticipate we'll see more ABs for the rookies.

For a guy that played a good amount of CF, Stowers looks a lot more Mancini-like in the outfield than I thought he would. He's not exactly smooth out there, but I also don't think he's totally comfortable yet. Guys like Adley and Gunnar who instantly look like Major Leaguers when they come up are rare. I think Stowers will look a lot better next year when he catches his breath and gets his feet under him. 

Should they therefore be playing him more? Yes and no. I'd certainly like to see him out there, and I think we will once the playoffs are definitively out of reach. But while they have designs of wild card contention, Santander needs to play every day because he's 1 of 3 good hitters currently. Hays I think should sit, but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards. 

Edited by interloper