It's time to play the players of the future

casadeozo

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Who said Hyde has no idea of his splits? I really have no idea why he was starting Aguliar at DH against lefties when Stowers had such great stats against them in the minors. 

But at the end of the day, Hyde has given him 1 PA against a lefty despite his success against them. I'm all about getting platoon differences, but he needs to understand that some guys have reverse platoon numbers and it's not always about the pitcher's platoon numbers.

Now would I pinch hit Stowers against a left reliever who dominates lefthanders, probably not, but I would have zero issues starting him against lefty starters.

Do you think Hyde is making this decision or do you think this type of decision on a macro level (in other words not on a game by game level) is coming from Elias and Sig?

19 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

If Urias is done for the season, who takes his place?

I would guess Nevin at this point in the season since he is the only IF left already on the 40 man.  If Elias thinks he has plenty of flexibility in his 40 man this offseason then maybe he adds Westburg.

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

I would guess Nevin at this point in the season since he is the only IF left already on the 40 man.  If Elias thinks he has plenty of flexibility in his 40 man this offseason then maybe he adds Westburg.

I said it last night on game thread. I would rather see Gallagher added. If Vavra can play defense by today that’s enough. 

On 9/23/2022 at 12:44 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

I'd hope he also knows that Stowers' splits are probably illusory, and that essentially every batter is somewhat better against opposite-handed pitching. 

Not saying this is wrong, but Stowers has been better against lefties for each of the last two years. He didn't play in 2020 and was worse against lefties in 2019.

13 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

I'm not up on all the nuances of the 40-man, but is there a reason to not bring up Westburg other than releasing someone like Nevin?

Well in theory they don’t have to protect him this offseason.  He should be on the team on OD but even if that’s their intention, they could wait until late in ST to add him to the 40 man.  It gives some flexibility.  But this 40 man roster is as flexible as Gumby, so I don’t see an issue.

15 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

I'm not up on all the nuances of the 40-man, but is there a reason to not bring up Westburg other than releasing someone like Nevin?

He would have to be added to the 40  man roster.

That would require knocking someone off of it (DFA) immediately.   There are of course plenty of candidates for this.   There are a bunch of guys who likely will be cut in the offseason anyway.

But also, unlike someone like Grayson Rodriguez, Westburg does not have to be added to the 40 man roster sometime in the offseason to be protected from the Rule 5 draft.    There are a bunch of guys we will have to add to the 40 man, so adding Westburg now would create one less space for the entire offseason.

Now there are STILL probably enough guys we can dump in the offseason that it's not a problem, but on the other hand why take up a space unnecessarily on the 40 man all winter by adding Westburg now for very minimal benefit (8 or fewer games at the major league level for Westburg).

17 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

It might mean we cannot protect someone like Hanifee or someone similar. Here's a good thread on the actual folks who need to be protected. I'm not sure if it's up to date after trades. I haven't read through it in a while.

Just now, Bahama O's Fan said:

Westbury, Norby, Cowser, Grayson and any other prospect worthy of a call up will now be held back till later next season due to service time.

Westburg, Norby and Cowser don't need to be protected, so there's likely almost zero chance they're added at this point.

Grayson and Ortiz need to be protected, so they'll be added now or in the next couple of weeks either way. So they're more likely to be added, if needed.

I know SG says we have plenty of guys to drop, and he's right in a sense, but it's not wise to lose the ability to protect even a mid level prospect for a week of baseball when you're not making the playoffs. If they promoted Westburg, it should have been weeks ago.

• Upvote 1

On 9/28/2022 at 12:55 PM, LookinUp said:

It might mean we cannot protect someone like Hanifee or someone similar. Here's a good thread on the actual folks who need to be protected. I'm not sure if it's up to date after trades. I haven't read through it in a while.

The thread is up to date now! I project 5 guys being protected but could be 1 or 2 more.

And there is considerable 40-man roster space. There are 12-15 guys on the 40-man roster right now who would not be missed.