Breakout player predictions for 2023

sportsfan8703

I’m going with Brian Baker. He has his new found dominant stuff, and I think he’ll have a more defined role next year ahead of Khreibel and only behind Perez/Bautista. I’m predicting Brach 2.0. 

Who ya got?  Brett Phillips?  Kyle Bradish?  Jordan Westburg?  You can say Gunnar, but you better predict something really massive. 

• Upvote 1

Baker is a good choice. Lots of reason to think he could see a big rise in his numbers.  A Brach-Esque run wouldn’t surprise me.

Need to see who is on the team for this but if I were to pick someone right Now, I would likely go with DL Hall.  While I’m down on him right now, I think if he’s on the team next year that they have fixed him and I expect him to be on the team whether it’s from day 1 or quickly thereafter.  And if they fix him, I think he blows up.

• Upvote 1

Going with Cowser.  I have been impressed with his rise through the ranks, and think (hope) at this time next year, he'll be starting in the outfield along with Stowers and one of Santander/Mullins/Hays.  I can see him putting up a high 700-low 800 OPS in his first season, and could see him coming up by June. 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

What would Grayson have to do to count as a breakout? 

That was my thought regarding Gunnar.  What constitutes a breakout?

I fully expect the two player with the most improvement for WAR provided this year to WAR provided next year will be Gunnar and Grayson.

But I think most of us probably expect that.  Does that still count as a breakout?  Or does it have to be somebody exceeding an established baseline of performance?

Just now, Pickles said:

That was my thought regarding Gunnar.  What constitutes a breakout?

I fully expect the two player with the most improvement for WAR provided this year to WAR provided next year will be Gunnar and Grayson.

But I think most of us probably expect that.  Does that still count as a breakout?  Or does it have to be somebody exceeding an established baseline of performance?

OP said "something really massive" for Gunnar. Not sure what that means, maybe AL-Top 10 in WAR?  1.000 OPS? 

Since he already has had some MLB success I think the bar has to be higher, which is why I would lean toward Grayson. 

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

OP said "something really massive" for Gunnar. Not sure what that means, maybe AL-Top 10 in WAR?  1.000 OPS? 

Since he already has had some MLB success I think the bar has to be higher, which is why I would lean toward Grayson. 

If I was choosing, even among those two, I think Gunnar will add more additional WAR to the team next than this year.

But he's already here, and performing very well, so I can see why you would say he isn't technically a "breakout" player.

Edited by Pickles

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

What would Grayson have to do to count as a breakout? 

Yeah, inquiring minds want to know?!  If Grayson comes into the league and performs like George Kirby has this year, that's a breakout in my book.  Not sure if he gets CY votes, but a solid start to a TOR career.

I tend to think of "breakout" as a guy reaching the next level due to a change in some type of underlying factor (which is tough to judge for rookies).  Like Mullins last year.  He stopped switch hitting and found a new level of performance.  2022 we had Bautista's BB%, Mateo's defense, Kremer's first pitch/swinging strike improvements, and a few other notable breakouts.

In that vein, if a few Mateo learned to take a walk, his OBP would take his SBs (and likely Rs) to the next level.  If Adley can improve his RHH splits (vs. LHP) maybe even by not switch-hitting, that's a next level.  If Mountcastle can move toward a league average chase rate...