9-3 might get them in

accinfo

TOR just lost to TB again and SEA is trailing KC 5-1. If those results hold, we'll be 4 GB of TB in loss column (really 5 bc of tie breaker), 4 GB of TOR in loss column (with 3 head to head to play tied 8-8), and 3 GB of SEA in loss column (really 4 bc of tie breaker). That said mathematically TOR is still the best shot, esp if TB sweeps them. However, TOR is a bad match up for us (as shown last couple weeks).. I would love for us to be 2 or less heading into the final series against them if thats the option.

TB has a tough schedule left and SEA lost JRod to the IL. I still think SEA will be hardest to catch bc after they finish w/ KC they have OAK, TEX, and DET AT HOME where they play well. So while it would be great to be able to play TOR head to head in that last series for all the marbles I would almost prefer TB collapse and we pass them instead.

But who knows, TOR is not playing well now so maybe we'll catch them at the right time.

9-3 for us to finish -- I would think that would be more than enough. That gets us to 88-74.

13 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

TOR just lost to TB again and SEA is trailing KC 5-1. If those results hold, we'll be 4 GB of TB in loss column (really 5 bc of tie breaker), 4 GB of TOR in loss column (with 3 head to head to play tied 8-8), and 3 GB of SEA in loss column (really 4 bc of tie breaker). That said mathematically TOR is still the best shot, esp if TB sweeps them. However, TOR is a bad match up for us (as shown last couple weeks).. I would love for us to be 2 or less heading into the final series against them if thats the option.

TB has a tough schedule left and SEA lost JRod to the IL. I still think SEA will be hardest to catch bc after they finish w/ KC they have OAK, TEX, and DET AT HOME where they play well. So while it would be great to be able to play TOR head to head in that last series for all the marbles I would almost prefer TB collapse and we pass them instead.

But who knows, TOR is not playing well now so maybe we'll catch them at the right time.

9-3 for us to finish -- I would think that would be more than enough. That gets us to 88-74.

The thing with the Jays is being 2 back would be no different then being 3 back.  Either way we would have to sweep them to get in.  We just need to gain one game in loss column over the next 9 games to get a chance to play our way in with a sweep in the final series of the year.  

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The thing with the Jays is being 2 back would be no different then being 3 back.  Either way we would have to sweep them to get in.  We just need to gain one game in loss column over the next 9 games to get a chance to play our way in with a sweep in the final series of the year.  

Shades of the final series against the Milwaukee Brewers in 1982, but hopefully with a better ending.  Also, the end of the 1982 season is my first real concrete memory of Orioles baseball. 

1 hour ago, accinfo said:

I said to myself after losing the 2 games to Detroit they would have to go 12-3 which seemed very improbable.  Now 9-3 which right now doesn't look as daunting.  Still a longshot but this team will not quit.  

After those two losses to Detroit, I thought they were done. But they will not quit, as you said. I think it will still take a mini-collapse by someone ahead of them.

3 hours ago, bpilktree said:

What a great way to look at it.   Schedules from here:

TOR:           BAL:

@TBR 2     HOU 2

NYY 3        @BOS 4

BOS 3        @NYY 3

@BAL 3      TOR 3