Roberts for Gavin Floyd a possibility?

Greg Pappas

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup...how about a Hayden Penn for Rich Hill swap? Maybe a change of scenery would do both guys some good? :D

Hayden Penn doesn't need a change of scenery. He hasn't been healthy long enough to get consistent playing time at any level. The Orioles shouldn't be giving up on him.

Hayden Penn doesn't need a change of scenery. He hasn't been healthy long enough to get consistent playing time at any level. The Orioles shouldn't be giving up on him.

This comment seems oxymoronic. So, he can't stay healthy...and we should keep him?

Please don't take it personally...not meant that way...just want to understand why this makes sense?

Staying healthy is a skill. Young hurt pitchers don't often become old healthy pitchers.

Penn did get 21 starts for Norfolk last year, and only gave the O's 99 innings of a nearly 5.00 ERA. Translated to OPACY that's a 6.50 or 7.00. Even giving him the benefit of the doubt, coming back from injuries and all, that's pretty ugly. He has a lot to prove.

That would be a bad deal for us.
That's a great deal for us.

The odds of Rich Hill remembering how to dominate MLB hitters are much higher than the odds of Hayden Penn ever figuring out how to get MLB hitters out, IMO.

That's a great deal for us.

The odds of Rich Hill remembering how to dominate MLB hitters are much higher than the odds of Hayden Penn ever figuring out how to get MLB hitters out, IMO.

Or, the odds of Rich Hill remembering how to dominate MLB hitters are much higher than the odds of Hayden Penn acquiring the knack to not get hurt all the time.

This comment seems oxymoronic. So, he can't stay healthy...and we should keep him?

Please don't take it personally...not meant that way...just want to understand why this makes sense?

Penn is still a young guy. He has suffered some fluke injuries and not all of them have been baseball related. It is definitely sink or swim for him at this point, but I would like to see what he can do in Spring Training. If he still shows an inability to be effective or stay healthy, let him go. However, there is the chance that he would surprise some people and snag the #5 spot in the rotation. What is the harm in giving him a chance? It's not like the Orioles have a ton of options.

I didn't see this mentioned in the thread, although I might have missed it: Gavin Floyd, Step Forward or Fluke, article on Fangraphs.

Quick summary is that they lean towards fluke. His FIP is higher than his real ERA, and it wouldn't be surprising to see his ERA go up a run in 2009.

I don't think anyone here believes that Floyd is an ace and will put up a sub 4 ERA again. However I have a problem calling him a fluke since a starting pitcher with a 4.25-4.75 ERA is very valuable. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know (as is always the case), I guess fluke is only appropriate if there is a large amount of fans who believe Floyd to be an ace.

His LOB% was 71 and change last year, which is dead average, I take a bit of comfort in that.

The White Sox aren't trading Gavin Floyd for Brian Roberts. Everyone needs to get over that right now. It doesn't make sense for a team trying to contend to deal one of their main starters. Think about all the moves the White Sox would have to make in order to make a Roberts/Floyd trade work out for them in the end:

1.) Acquire Roberts.

2.) Sign or trade for another starter to replace Floyd.

3.) Trade Jermaine Dye so they can afford Roberts and the new starter.

The White Sox would also want to sign Roberts to an extension, which would cost them even more money. Money that they might need to sign a free agent starter. I'm sure the interest in Roberts is real, but just not including Gavin Floyd. Look for a trade based around Christopher Getz and maybe Josh Fields, plus some pitchers.

I'm sure the interest in Roberts is real, but just not including Gavin Floyd. Look for a trade based around Christopher Getz and maybe Josh Fields, plus some pitchers.

Not that I disagree with you in valuing Floyd more than some on this board do, but any trade that begins with Getz for BRob is crappy for us.

If the pitcher is a highly rated prospect, then I am game for it. But to take Getz as the headpiece isn't worth more than the two draft picks we'll get when he walks after next season.

Archived