Anthony Santander - Now a Core Player Going Forward?

StillanOfan

I like Santander and would PROBABLY keep him this offseason, but it would depend on what I could get for him. If the Marlins, for instance, viewed him as the primary piece for a top-end, controllable starter, I pull the trigger and deal him. 

For those noting his OPS is still below .800 (albeit barely), his OPS+ is 124 which is pretty strong. I also like that he's more than doubled his career high walk total (albeit in more PAs, but still his OBP is .325 which is very respectable, particularly considering he was a sub-.300 OBP guy coming into the year. With the improved patience and eye at the plate, he's turned himself into a solid bat in the middle of the order. He's also someone that hits very well against LHP which is valuable for our team. 

I'm not opposed to moving Santander. We do have Mullins, Hays, Stowers, Vavra and soon Cowser, but this offense feels like it could use one more piece as is, if we move Santander, we would need to replace that offense. 

• Upvote 2

I am hoping Santander's hot streak helps bump his stock up enough to help us trade him for some pitching. I used to believe we would have to trade Mullins for that pitching, but I think Elias realizes that we need his CF defense next year. I now believe that Santander and mountcastle will be our main trade chips this offseason to help bring in Pitching (probably need to add a few prospects to get the return we want). Mountcastles difference in slugging vs expected slg gives him value in my opinion

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Do guys suddenly become core players when they go on hot streaks?

I just don't get some of you sometimes.

Relatively new poster (11 posts total) starts a perfectly reasonable thread in which he acknowledges there's two sides to the discussion. Then one of the longstanding posters, and at least 3 other longstanding posters, act like d!cks. Why?

Santander has improved. He seems to actually be somewhat adaptable to the new plate approach the O's are pushing. Yeah, he's "only" a 2.3 WAR guy right now. He's also losing a pretty significant amount of WAR from his defense. And as a switch hitter, he's not a liability against LHP or RHP. He's a perfect DH, especially for Camden Yards, and maybe you can get some 1B innings from him.

He's not Rutschman or Henderson, so of course you trade him in the right deal. But he has improved, so maybe you're also willing to stand pat or sign him to a reasonable extension. 

• Upvote 2

I think the key is how you and other teams value a few guys.  We believe we have an abundance of both IF and OF given prospects, but not a 1B or true DH we can count on yet.

Santander, Hays, Mountcastle, Mullins, Mateo can all be traded for the right price.  But you can't trade all of them.  I think many here, if we were to trade 3, and the value on all 5 players is equal, would trade Hays/Mountcastle/Mateo.  But those are likely the lowest three in current trade value.  So can you sell them high than you value them?  Or are you selling them in a low? 

Then you have to look at cost to your team.  Santander will cost you the most going into Arb3.  Mullins/Mateo/Hays are all going into Arb 1, and will make similar amounts (Mullins the most).  Mountcastle has another year of team control before entering Arb.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Relatively new poster (11 posts total) starts a perfectly reasonable thread in which he acknowledges there's two sides to the discussion. Then one of the longstanding posters, and at least 3 other longstanding posters, act like d!cks. Why?

Santander has improved. He seems to actually be somewhat adaptable to the new plate approach the O's are pushing. Yeah, he's "only" a 2.3 WAR guy right now. He's also losing a pretty significant amount of WAR from his defense. And as a switch hitter, he's not a liability against LHP or RHP. He's a perfect DH, especially for Camden Yards, and maybe you can get some 1B innings from him.

He's not Rutschman or Henderson, so of course you trade him in the right deal. But he has improved, so maybe you're also willing to stand pat or sign him to a reasonable extension. 

I think it’s more of a tongue and cheek comment.

A trend on here, and this has been the case for 2 decades, is player A gets hot and they are part of the long term.  Or player B comes out of nowhere and does really well after years of nothing and now they are Jose Bautista.  

Instead of just going with the obvious reasoning and answer, fans tend to reach based off of hope and emotion.

Now, with all of that being said, Santander has shown he can be a good player in the past. He’s not a bad piece to have by any stretch but he’s not a true core piece.  He’s not the difference between making the playoffs and not.  He’s a very nice complimentary piece to have, especially since he’s not overly expensive.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think it’s more of a tongue and cheek comment.

A trend on here, and this has been the case for 2 decades, is player A gets hot and they are part of the long term.  Or player B comes out of nowhere and does really well after years of nothing and now they are Jose Bautista.  

Player C hits a rough patch and he's suddenly trade bait in every proposal.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I don't care if they're a new poster or not.  If you're going to start a thread, you're opening yourself up to ask your idea or your thoughts to be critiqued.  Everyone here has created a thread or made a post that they've been ribbed about, even @Sports Guy.  It wasn't a personal attack.  

Does this thread get started if he doesn't hit two homers again last night?  If you say yes, you're telling on yourself.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't care if they're a new poster or not.  If you're going to start a thread, you're opening yourself up to ask your idea or your thoughts to be critiqued.  Everyone here has created a thread or made a post that they've been ribbed about, even @Sports Guy.  It wasn't a personal attack.  

Does this thread get started if he doesn't hit two homers again last night?  If you say yes, you're telling on yourself.  

Didn’t you start a thread about the hitting coaches only after the offense went into a terrible slump a week or so ago?

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don't expect Santander to be extended or traded this off season.   More likely  traded at the 2023 deadline depending on the development of Cowser and Westburg.

I'll be a bit surprised if Elias is trading effective veterans at the deadline if the team is in contention going forward. That seems like trying to be too cute to me. You'd have to be very confident that one of the rookies can step in without setting the team back in the short term. If Santander is traded, I would expect it to be in the offseason. 

I don't see any rush to trade Santander; Cowser is the only outfield prospect I see making an impact in 2023, and he's much more likely to displace Hays, I would expect. You can easily keep Santander around for another year without him being in the way of anybody.