Anthony Santander - Now a Core Player Going Forward?

StillanOfan

6 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It's likely a career year Santander is 27 years old and many players have their best season at approximately this age. I like Santander, but Elias needs to listen to any offers.

There is no shortage of outfield talent in the farm system, but when it comes to starting pitching not so much. If Santander can secure a good pitcher in a trade then Elias has to at least think about it. 

Judge is 30 and some team is going to spend a lot of money on him. 

4 hours ago, JimGinSP said:

I feel Anthony is now and can continue to be a very good complementary player on a playoff caliber team.  Need to be satisfied that he can be the next Ken Singleton.  (Adley and Gunnar can be Eddie and Cal.)

He’s definitely no Ken Singleton. Ken had four seasons that were each worth more than Santander’s entire career. More like Ken Homerton… he can run into a ball now and then, but I don’t think he’s going to get any better than this.

I think we should deal him to Boston while the iron is hot. 😬

It is a good point about the plate discipline. The question is, does that continue going forward or is this a one year thing?  

I think it’s very likely his peak value is right now. His OPS appears to be headed in the direction of somewhere around 800.  He has a chance at 35 homers and 90+ RBIs.

That’s a very good year in a season where offense is down.

But his defense is also subpar and he doesn’t provide value on the bases either. 

And, of course, the biggest asterisk next to his season is that he has been healthy. That never happens for him and its a tough thing to rely on.

This is also his age 27 season, so seeing him peak at the age when players historically peak isn’t exactly surprising.

The question is, what can you get for him? You don’t move him just to move him but you certainly do shop him.

• Upvote 1

He’s not a core player but it doesn’t mean you just dump him for the highest offer this off-season. If the goal is to compete in 23, you’re leaving yourself susceptible by giving Stowers/Vavra a starting role next year.
If you can get a decent, controllable SP in a trade, then definitely move him. 

4 hours ago, btdart20 said:

I wouldn’t define Santander as core.  But I would point to the fact that he wasn’t traded at this year’s trade deadline as evidence that Elias values him.  He’s pretty close to Jose Ramirez for top line stats with the bat this year.  

Jose Ramirez?!?! On what planet?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Seriously.  Was he a core player 3 weeks ago?

HIs OpS is still under 800 With all those homers. 

Trade him…although if you bring him back, that’s fine too.

Will it be .850 next year with no shift?  Our offense lacks power, and Santander brings that. Even from the RH side. 

If we want to make the playoffs next year, we keep Santander. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Will it be .850 next year with no shift?  Our offense lacks power, and Santander brings that. Even from the RH side. 

I think folks are grossly overestimating the impact removing the shift will have.

I don't think it's costing Santander 50 points of OPS.

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Are you really saying that the difference between making the playoffs or not is a 2.5 WAR player that is basically one dimensional?  You are saying they can’t overcome the loss of that?  Seriously?

34 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Jose Ramirez?!?! On what planet?

Yeah, I'm stretching it and using Ramirez as a bit of shock value.  Runs and RBI are as much a product of the batting order spot, so Ramirez gets those pretty easily.  And Ramirez's K/BB ratio are on a different level essentially across the league (so he'll easily get the OBP/OPS win).  I was really just thinking the power numbers plus the BA-Babip differences put them (for this year) closer than I would have anticipated.  Then I kept looking under the hood and see a few more things that are similar (or even advantage Santander).

Player A - 28 HR, .277 BA, .275 babip, 87.6 EV, 37.6% HH%, .237 ISO

Player B - 33 HR, .250 BA, .257 babip, 90.2 EV, 43.9% HH%, .223 ISO

On a side note:  the plate discipline that leads to the K/BB ratio is the 'new dog' trick from another thread.  The impact Ramirez has on the Guardians lineup is what Adley and Gunnar can have on ours.

I'm perfectly happy pencilling him in as the everyday DH next season. He's clearly lost a few steps in the outfield, but he can play there occasionally if needed. For a team that has struggled to generate much of an offense for much of the year, I'm not inclined to trade the top power hitter on the club. Unlike some, I question what we'd actually get in a trade for him should we go that route, and though the organization has accumulated some young depth pieces to use in a package deal, I'm not in a hurry to lose them before we get a chance to see what we have. 

It’s nice too see Santander finishing on a heater.  He’s had a nice season and now it looks a lot nicer than it did five days ago.   

I’d say the only scenario where he gets traded is one where the Orioles concurrently acquire someone in a higher tier as a free agent.  They can’t afford to downgrade his spot in the lineup.   

3 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

I'm perfectly happy pencilling him in as the everyday DH next season. He's clearly lost a few steps in the outfield, but he can play there occasionally if needed. For a team that has struggled to generate much of an offense for much of the year, I'm not inclined to trade the top power hitter on the club. Unlike some, I question what we'd actually get in a trade for him should we go that route, and though the organization has accumulated some young depth pieces to use in a package deal, I'm not in a hurry to lose them before we get a chance to see what we have. 

So you don't want Adley at DH at all next season?