What 3 moves would you make this off season (that are realistic)?

DocJJ

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Vavra Super U? Can he play SS? Your probably better with Vavra at 2B and Urias as you utility inf

When I say Super U, I think LF/RF/2B/3B/1B.  Westburg would slide to SS for Henderson off days.  And if Henderson is hurt, than you'd bring up Ortiz.

1 minute ago, MarCakes21 said:

When I say Super U, I think LF/RF/2B/3B/1B.  Westburg would slide to SS for Henderson off days.  And if Henderson is hurt, than you'd bring up Ortiz.

I don’t think he can play 3B either. If his arm is what people are saying he’s only a LF. So realistically he’s LF/2B IMO.

28 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Admittedly, I think I am cheating the spirit of 3 moves, but...

1)  Extend Mike Elias.

2)  Extend Adley and Gunnar.

3)  Grab 2 best SP you can.  One by FA, one by trade.

Agree on the spirit, I also don't consider 1 and 2 moves, so you could add two more.

Vavra played short in college and early in the minors.  Having said that, I would use him there in an emergency, not as the main utility infielder.

So:

1.  Sign Verlander for something like 2/$80 or 3/$105.

2.  Give Westburg massive reps in the corner outfield positions during fall instructs or winter ball so you can trade Hays for pitching-possibly to the Marlins.  Meyers would be another buy low rehab guy to go with Seth Johnson.

3.  Give Ortiz and Cowser real opportunities to start 2023 in Baltimore..

• Upvote 1

Top priorities are top of rotation starter (two if we pass on Lyles), veteran bullpen arm, and backup C. Middle of the order bat upgrade would be nice. 

How to get those depends on a lot of variables but I'd be listening to offers on Urias, Hays, DL Hall, Mayo, Prieto, and Hernaiz.

Hard to narrow it down to three moves until some of the dominoes start falling but I see lots of options to improve the team without spending too much money or compromising elite prospects.

1.  Sign Chris Bassit, 4 yrs/$80 mill

2.  Sign Josh Bell, 3 years/$48 mill, big upgrade on offense over Mountcastle, .350 career OBP., trade Mountcastle.

3.  Sign Brandon Drury, 2 yrs/$6 mill (total guess on his contract) .955 OPS vs LHP in 2022, .770 OPS vs LHP for career.  Bell also hits LHP very well.

I didn't go for either Verlander or DeGrom because I feel that for the O's to spend 30-40 mill/yr on one player is too much, especially with how much pitchers get injured.  I would use that money to sign some of our young MLB players to extensions. 

• Upvote 1

1. Sign Joe Musgrove

2. Sign Chris Bassitt

3. Sign Josh Bell

I think high-end second tier pitching is where we will realistically shop.  I think we look to bring in a power bat.  The above moves allow us to explore trading Mountcastle who I would look to shop along with Mateo and Mullins.  

• Upvote 1