What did we learn from the past week's wild card round results?

2001OriolesFan

With our crowded AL East group of nasties, our road to the post season IS going to go through the WC round for the next 2-3 years.  We should use this week's results to learn, how we HAVE TO structure our starting pitching staff. ... Question:  which way to go for our starting pitcher profile- especially the top of the order?   six 10 game winners  ,,,, or,,,, three 20 game winners...  Over a 162 game season, both sets get you 60 wins and you might argue that having six pitchers is some advantage because there is more rest and less danger of a single sore arm costing a lot of wins.  BUT, if you ability to continue in the post season depends on how you do in a THREE game series- the three higher quality pitchers is what you want.

It does not look like we have a bunch of lights-out starting pitchers in the pipeline, so we will have to pick them up from the FA market or expensive trades.

It's all about who's got stuff on an individual night. Most post-season rosters only employee 3-4 starters. You can think a lock down ace makes it better but look at Kershaw in the playoffs. Scherzer a couple days ago. And helloooo Joe Saunders. Bradish, Lyles, Kremer for those 2 weeks would have shutdown anyone. It really is a crap shoot. Some give you better odds but it really is all about who's hot and who's not.

....and a deep bullpen. Gotta deploy the best in tough situations. Diaz in the 7th tells me Buck learned his lesson. But, maybe not, early Buck made that decision with us, veteran Buck not so much. But it's who you got after you've burned your best.

Edited by oh-wee-ohs
  • Upvote 2

I don’t think you learn anything from the results of four three-game series.   There’s a lot of random variation in baseball.  

Our team needs improvement in starting pitching and offense.   The bullpen may need bolstering, but that’s a lower priority.  162 games told us that.  

As to spending top money for aces for the playoffs, how’d that $43 mm for Scherzer go?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think you learn anything from the results of four three-game series.   There’s a lot of random variation in baseball.  

Our team needs improvement in starting pitching and offense.   The bullpen may need bolstering, but that’s a lower priority.  162 games told us that.  

As to spending top money for aces for the playoffs, how’d that $43 mm for Scherzer go?

Scherzer obviously wasn't quite right.  They showed it in the warm-ups.  Injuries happen, though admittedly more often to 38 year olds.  

That the randomness of playoff baseball can spin positively...for the Padres or negatively, for TB, Toronto, Mets.

That spending a gazillion dollars to have a 38 year old pitcher in the playoffs (Scherzer) doesn't make said pitcher throw like he is 25 in October.

That you can't win a playoff series without getting there.  Phillies, Seattle both advance in spite of odds.

That the Orioles have a ways to go, but have built a solid foundation.

That Buck Showalter, isn't going to win a WS in NY with the Mets.

Buck is still Buck.  You can't shut his team down without him trying to get inside your head.

• Upvote 1

I can’t say I learned much from these short series.  But what I did learn about myself is I have no tolerance for inept offense.  Watching the Os slog through September with a terrible offense was painful, but watching that Cleveland-Tampa series was another level of awful.  

I was 16 in 1991 when the Braves and Twins played that classic Game 7, and that was 0-0 into extras.  But at least there had been offense in that series prior to that and that game was for all the marbles. Tampa and Cleveland had scored all of 3 runs the day before and then proceeded to put up goose eggs for 14 the next day!  

Let soccer give us insurmountable 2-0 leads.  I want to see some semblance of good hitting in the MLB playoffs.  So a big thank you to the Mariners!

2 hours ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

So,  people seem to vote for having  committee and not 3 aces to win the short series.

I don't think so.  You can't equate 6 10 game winners to 3 20 game winners, because you still have two more pitchers.

I think they're saying the bullpen and top end bullpen talent is more critical in the playoffs.  You need to be able to get to your closer with whoever starts.