Orioles Dominican Academy

Can_of_corn

22 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

It’s crazy how close to the vest they keep information.  You would think this would be a marketing and branding opportunity to take advantage of.  

I’m sure it will get plenty of press attention when the facility is finished.   They did plenty of marketing when the plans were unveiled and when ground was broken.  Headlines like “Orioles’ Dominican Facility is Three Months Behind Schedule” aren’t really branding opportunities.  

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m sure it will get plenty of press attention when the facility is finished.   They did plenty of marketing when the plans were unveiled and when ground was broken.  Headlines like “Orioles’ Dominican Facility is Three Months Behind Schedule” aren’t really branding opportunities.  

They've clearly never met DC Metro's public affairs officer. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Here’s an update from Roch, which I’d summarize as “behind schedule, but we don’t want to say that”:

We haven’t heard much about the future home to the Orioles’ regional facility for Caribbean and Central and South American player development operations. On the day of the announcement, the Orioles estimated a final ribbon-cutting in 12-16 months.

Executive vice president/general manager Mike Elias provided an update at the Winter Meetings.

“I’m not ready to announce when it’s going to open, but it’s going really well,” Elias said. “It’s on target. I was just there. The construction looks really cool. It’s coming along.

“It’s very weather-dependent, some shipping delays with COVID. You kind of buckle up for some delays with these, generally. Some of these other teams that are building right now had to shut down construction. Fortunately, we’ve been able to avoid that.

“It’s coming along. I think in this coming calendar year we’re going to start getting in there at some point in time and maybe have some programs and part of the (Dominican Summer League) season there.”

The complex will house more than 100 players, coaches and staff, and provide dormitory-style rooms and entertainment spaces. It will include three classrooms and a computer lab to provide on-site learning and an education plan for each player. Nutritious meals will be served daily in the dining room.

• Thanks 2