Pavano signs with Indians

Big Keys Fan

Carl Pavano signed with the Indians for 1.5 mil/yr that can be 5+mil with incentives. Did the O's FO miss the bus on this signing or was it good that we left him alone?

Doesn't matter about the O's FO. Indians give Pavano a shot to win, the O's don't.

Since Pavano is an injury risk, he knew he wasn't going to get a big contract. This makes him affordable to any team, so he was probably be able to hand pick whatever team he wanted. Not like an AJ, where there were only a couple of teams that could afford his contract.

Carl Pavano signed with the Indians for 1.5 mil/yr that can be 5+mil with incentives. Did the O's FO miss the bus on this signing or was it good that we left him alone?

Wouldn't have hurt to sign him, but I doubt he does much of anything. Also, if we did sign him, we would actually be relying on him to eat innings, so that would have been a bad idea.

If he does well, then the critics will harp on forever complaining how we missed the bus. If he doesn't do well, we will never hear about this again. That's how it works around here.

My personal opinion is that this is a good risk for the Indians. Would he have agreed to similar terms with the Orioles? I don't know.

Didn't you hear, we signed Hendrickson. No use for a younger guy with more upside when we can get guaranteed subpar performance. ;)

Smart risk for the Indians.

I would've matched or slightly beaten the deal, but who knows if Pavano would have taken it. Its to his advantage to be playing for a better team and put himself in better position for a payday next season.

Everyone keep in mind that the Indians were not good last year. I know that there team has a few more stars but they were .500 in a average to below division. They have a ton of questions coming into the year as well as we do! I really think it may have been advantagous to the O's to look at him as a low cost high reward deal! Does anyone think that we will sign a Mulder, Pavano, Colon type?

Everyone keep in mind that the Indians were not good last year. I know that there team has a few more stars but they were .500 in a average to below division. They have a ton of questions coming into the year as well as we do! I really think it may have been advantagous to the O's to look at him as a low cost high reward deal! Does anyone think that we will sign a Mulder, Pavano, Colon type?

I am hoping we sign Colon or Prior, but I have my doubts we will.

Archived