Hyde Sports News Manager of the Year

Pickles

• Tony-OH changed the title to Hyde Sports News Manager of the Year
5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's deserved for sure. We are always going to find faults here and there and since I don't know who's making the lineups out everyday, I have say he did a great job. Any manager that presides over a team that improved 31 games deserves this award!

Would you say there was much difference in how he managed in 2022 and how he was in previous seasons?

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's deserved for sure. We are always going to find faults here and there and since I don't know who's making the lineups out everyday, I have say he did a great job. Any manager that presides over a team that improved 31 games deserves this award!

Not only that but had a significantly smaller payroll than any team in his division and still finished above .500.

• Upvote 3

I'll be the contrary one I suppose.  Yes, he deserved this award simply based on the improvement from last year.  But, like Tony alluded to, if the decision on who to start and the lineup configuration was solely his decision, then I seriously question just how good of a manager he is.  One can argue that his misuse of Odor and Aguilar cost us games and his obsession of splits that kept Stowers on the bench so much was questionable.  Again, we don't know how much control he actually has over who starts and how the lineup is constructed.  If his bosses were largely determining those issues, then it shouldn't be held against him.  But if those decisions are largely his, then I feel less confident about him being the right guy for the job, manager of the year award notwithstanding.  

4 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I'll be the contrary one I suppose.  Yes, he deserved this award simply based on the improvement from last year.  But, like Tony alluded to, if the decision on who to start and the lineup configuration was solely his decision, then I seriously question just how good of a manager he is.  One can argue that his misuse of Odor and Aguilar cost us games and his obsession of splits that kept Stowers on the bench so much was questionable.  Again, we don't know how much control he actually has over who starts and how the lineup is constructed.  If his bosses were largely determining those issues, then it shouldn't be held against him.  But if those decisions are largely his, then I feel less confident about him being the right guy for the job, manager of the year award notwithstanding.  

It's mostly about talent.

As I alluded to earlier I don't think 2022 Hyde was an appreciably better manager than the 2019-2021 version.

Someone has to win and sure, he's the best choice but I don't think anyone reads much into it.

• Upvote 1

Congrads to Hyder. He's been a good captain even when the boat had a lot of leaks. Good year for him and a good year for the Orioles. I don't care who makes out the lineup - Hyde runs the ship for how many innings it takes to finish a game. 83 - 79. Well deserved! Nice to enjoy some recognition for a change! 

• Upvote 2

Congrats to Hyder.   He’s kept the clubhouse steady and the effort level good throughout his four years here.  I thought he did a really good job deciding when to pull the starting pitchers and when to make bullpen moves this year.   I could quibble with some of his lineup decisions, but the impact of those is overrated in my opinion.  

The real test is whether he’ll be in the conversation for Manager of the Year next season. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would you say there was much difference in how he managed in 2022 and how he was in previous seasons?

Seriously, who cares? Manager of the year is always about teams that over achieve. Most managers don't do anything different from year to year. Nowadays, with computer models setting lineups for a lot of teams, the manager is limited to managing personalities and we hope, in game pitching and pinch hitting changes.

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

I have to admit I thought the bolded part was an overly aggressive take. I was going to ask you to provide one shred of evidence that Odor really cost the Orioles games (and not just a few anecdotes where a bad play cost runs, etc.). Before I posted that snarky reply, however, I thought maybe I should look at the Orioles record with and without Odor in the lineup. Not super easy to find the record in the games without Odor, but the Orioles were 64-71 in games in which Odor played. That's a .474 winning percentage. Ouch. Big, big ouch. So I'm glad I looked at some data before I threw down the gauntlet and then had to eat a bunch of crow. :) 

Overall though I think Hyde did a great job, especially with the bullpen, and deserves the award. It's also sort of general recognition for a shockingly good year for the Orioles. It's a team award in many ways. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

I have to admit I thought the bolded part was an overly aggressive take. I was going to ask you to provide one shred of evidence that Odor really cost the Orioles games (and not just a few anecdotes where a bad play cost runs, etc.). Before I posted that snarky reply, however, I thought maybe I should look at the Orioles record with and without Odor in the lineup. Not super easy to find the record in the games without Odor, but the Orioles were 64-71 in games in which Odor played. That's a .474 winning percentage. Ouch. Big, big ouch. So I'm glad I looked at some data before I threw down the gauntlet and then had to eat a bunch of crow. :) 

Overall though I think Hyde did a great job, especially with the bullpen, and deserves the award. It's also sort of general recognition for a shockingly good year for the Orioles. It's a team award in many ways. 

Thanks for your honesty sir.  In addition to the team record,  Odor had a -0.4 war for the season.   He had a .632 OPS and most defensive metrics have him as average at best,  with most being below average to poor.  Frankly other than the dubious 'eyeball test' and him coming up huge in a handful of big situations, the numbers suggest we would have won another game or two by replacing him with just about anyone.  Yet Hyde kept starting him game after game to the detriment of the team in my opinion.

As noted,  this is usually more of a team award, given to the manager of the team who exceeded expectations greatly or dominated during the season.   By that metric Hyde deserves the award.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Good perspective.