Elias sounds like he is shooting high

wildcard

10 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

I have seen reports that the Padres, Astros and Red Sox are all interested in Abreu.  He gets to pick where he wants to go.  Seems like that makes the O's chances of signing him as low.

Edited by wildcard

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The idea that people think/thought the Os would be in the running for expensive, long term pitching contracts is hilarious.

This is not a shot at you or anyone who has lowered their expectations of the O’s, but I have not. I expect and hold them to the standard of doing the right thing by us long suffering fans who have stuck with the team.

If they don’t honor our loyalty and reinvest serious resources in the team, that will be very wrong.. And it will prove to us that the O’s are operating “business as usual” despite the different first name of the same family who is now the front man.

If the O’s aren’t serious players for big time free agents now when their roster cost is really low and the amount of young assets within the system are really high, I ask when will they. Or are we as fans supposed to be okay with a commitment to mediocrity and maximum profits for the Angelos family forever?

If you accept the guideline that only 2022 100+ IP throwers are suitable yearlong bulk throwers for 2023, and where they fall in 20% chunks of K-BB results as a loose label of who is 1-2-3-4-5, the options fall out like:

Top 20% #1 options - Rodon, Verlander      (Ohtani, Burnes, Woodruff, L. Lynn maybe moving next 1-12 months)

#2 options - Eovaldi with draft pick penalty, Kluber, Stripling         (Pablo Lopez in this group)

#3 options - Taillon, Bassitt with draft pick penalty, Manaea, Smyly, Wacha, R. Hill, Taijuan

#4 options - K. Gibson, Quintana, Lyles, Clevinger, Syndergaard, Bundy

#5 options - Cueto, Archer, Greinke

And then pitchers who were good to brilliant but failed to attain 100 IP last year: deGrom, Heaney, Eflin...then big gap to Lyles equivalents like Yarbrough, Lorenzen and Minor.

Given the Orioles need to probably bend on Years to outcompete all other challengers, Taillon-Manaea-Taijuan as "the young ones" are kind of my short list of practical hopes.

I will happily take the risk of Spenser Watkins pitching sometimes if we got say deGrom/Heaney, but guessing that flavor of risk isn't going to be John Angelos' thing.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

This is not a shot at you or anyone who has lowered their expectations of the O’s, but I have not. I expect and hold them to the standard of doing the right thing by us long suffering fans who have stuck with the team.

If they don’t honor our loyalty and reinvest serious resources in the team, that will be very wrong.. And it will prove to us that the O’s are operating “business as usual” despite the different first name of the same family who is now the front man.

If the O’s aren’t serious players for big time free agents now when their roster cost is really low and the amount of young assets within the system are really high, I ask when will they. Or are we as fans supposed to be okay with a commitment to mediocrity and maximum profits for the Angelos family forever?

I think you need to prepare yourself for disappointment if your definition of that is “spending a lot of money on a FA pitcher”.

It was never going to happen.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What is a lot of money?  Is 3/45-50m?

By most standards?  No

By the Os?  Borderline.

This is why I have been saying trades are the best and most obvious way for this team to greatly improve the staff.

They are not going to spend the money. They may spend the prospects. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

By most standards?  No

By the Os?  Borderline.

This is why I have been saying trades are the best and most obvious way for this team to greatly improve the staff.

You could be right but its hard to say without  knowing what the trades look like.

There are maybe 8 starters on the FA market that are better than Lyles and will not cost 100M.   What chance does Elias have at signing them????

Edited by wildcard

37 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You could be right but its hard to say without  knowing what the trades look like.

There are maybe 8 starters on the FA market that are better than Lyles and will not cost 100M.   What chance does Elias have at signing them????

Better than Lyles can’t be the bar.  That’s not a difficult bar to clear. 

The bar should be high upside, mid to top of rotation arms.  We don’t need more 3/4 type guys.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

By most standards?  No

By the Os?  Borderline.

I agree. Until this team spends big money on a FA pitcher, I won’t believe it. A trade is the best fit as you said. 

I have to admit, I have been quietly hoping they bring in Verlander on a 2-3 year deal with a high AAV. To me, that makes the most sense if they would actually do it. Who knows if he would want to come to Baltimore, but he did grow up in Virginia. 

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Better than Lyles can’t be the bar.  That’s not a difficult bar to clear. 

The bar should be high upside, mid to top of rotation arms.  We don’t need more 3/4 type guys.

Amen.  If we’re going to upgrade, let’s make a no doubt significant upgrade.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Amen.  If we’re going to upgrade, let’s make a no doubt significant upgrade.  

Why sign Taillon?  Just go with what you have.  That’s not a real attempt at getting significantly better.

I would rather roll the dice with Hall than sign someone like that.  And then evaluate starting in June if you need to make a move.