Elias sounds like he is shooting high

wildcard

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Weird how he kept coming back to the division.  It's a balanced schedule next year.  Being in the AL East doesn't mean that much.  It doesn't seem to be worse than being in the AL West.

It still means a good bit playing  32% of your games against 14% of the other teams in MLB.   But not as much as playing 47% of your games against those teams.  In other words, the schedule is “more balanced,” not “balanced.”  And we still need to have a better record than at least one other AL East team to make the playoffs.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It still means a good bit playing  32% of your games against 14% of the other teams in MLB.   But not as much as playing 47% of your games against those teams.  In other words, the schedule is “more balanced,” not “balanced.”  And we still need to have a better record than at least one other AL East team to make the playoffs.   

Sorry I thought it was actually balanced.

It's still an excuse tho, and one I've been hearing for decades.

Deal with it, everyone else in the East has to.

Oh no, other teams are good.

It's not like the old days without multiple wild cards.

14 hours ago, RZNJ said:

We were in contention last year.   Remember 2014?  You can go a long way with 5 solid starters and a good bullpen.

When I say contention I mean to win the World Series not to make the playoffs. I don't think guys like Taillon, Lopez, etc. really move the needle like a Rodon, Burnes, etc. would in terms of winning it all.

1 hour ago, tabletop said:

When I say contention I mean to win the World Series not to make the playoffs. I don't think guys like Taillon, Lopez, etc. really move the needle like a Rodon, Burnes, etc. would in terms of winning it all.

I said I preferred Rodon but if we can't get a #1 I'm ok getting two #3 types.  You said that seemed like a waste of time. I don't agree.  I also mentioned we could trade for a TOR.  As always it depends on the cost and if they are even available. 

BTW, was Framber Valdez considered a #1 entering this year?  The Astros sure didn't win the WS because of Justin Verlander who blew a big lead in game 1.

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I said I preferred Rodon but if we can't get a #1 I'm ok getting two #3 types.  You said that seemed like a waste of time. I don't agree.  I also mentioned we could trade for a TOR.  As always it depends on the cost and if they are even available. 

BTW, was Framber Valdez considered a #1 entering this year?  The Astros sure didn't win the WS because of Justin Verlander who blew a big lead in game 1.

I mean he did win the Cy Young - gotta get there to win it. I would have been thrilled with early playoff choker Bonds or Kershaw. 

100% agree on the two #3s though. Spend cash now - there’s going to be a deadline trade available.

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I just don't think they are a big enough upgrade over what the O's currently have is all. That Verlander comment is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, tabletop said:

I just don't think they are a big enough upgrade over what the O's currently have is all. That Verlander comment is ridiculous.

How is the Verlander comment ridiculous? He blew a 4-run lead in game in and turned a win into a loss.   He went 5 innings and finally won his first WS game ever, I believe, later in the series.   He's a great pitcher.  I'd love to have him.   But his record in the WS is not very good.

Framber Valdez was the better pitcher in the WS.  I doubt many people considered him a #1 before the season started.

2 hours ago, tabletop said:

His point is, and it’s the correct one, is that aces don’t ensure WS or playoff wins. 

You made the comment about winning the WS.  Verlander has been an awful pitcher in the WS.  Other aces have struggled in the playoffs as well.  How did having aces work out for the Mets in the playoffs?

I'm an Elias supporter and believe he will do some good things this offseason. I really believe he's going to try his damndest this offseason to improve the team through free agency and trade.

However, as a traumatized Orioles fan, I can't help but feel like he's about to get a hard lesson in just how hard it is to get free agents to sign here. He knows this already, hence the wall, but I don't know if he really knows the task ahead of him. He could offer the most money and still get turned down simply because it's the AL East, or the specter of old Camden Yards persists, or another team is perceived as closer to the WS. It's just hard. I'm keeping my expectations low, but holding out hope that Elias is much better at this than Duquette and his predecessors were. If nothing else, Elias is surely easier to talk to and deal with than those guys. And of course, JA has to pony up. 

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

However, as a traumatized Orioles fan, I can't help but feel like he's about to get a hard lesson in just how hard it is to get free agents to sign here. He knows this already, hence the wall, but I don't know if he really knows the task ahead of him. He could offer the most money and still get turned down simply because it's the AL East, or the specter of old Camden Yards persists, or another team is perceived as closer to the WS. 

Don't forget questions surrounding ownership and history of player-ownership relations. If there is an offer on the table from the O's and you reach out to Adam Jones or Markakis for their opinion, what do you think they are going to say? 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Don't forget questions surrounding ownership and history of player-ownership relations. If there is an offer on the table from the O's and you reach out to Adam Jones or Markakis for their opinion, what do you think they are going to say? 

Right. Separating the organization from their prior baggage and drama is one of Elias' toughest and longest-term tasks. I'd say he's doing a pretty good job of it, but at the end of the day he can only do so much about the perception of ownership, etc. 

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm an Elias supporter and believe he will do some good things this offseason. I really believe he's going to try his damndest this offseason to improve the team through free agency and trade.

However, as a traumatized Orioles fan, I can't help but feel like he's about to get a hard lesson in just how hard it is to get free agents to sign here. He knows this already, hence the wall, but I don't know if he really knows the task ahead of him. He could offer the most money and still get turned down simply because it's the AL East, or the specter of old Camden Yards persists, or another team is perceived as closer to the WS. It's just hard. I'm keeping my expectations low, but holding out hope that Elias is much better at this than Duquette and his predecessors were. If nothing else, Elias is surely easier to talk to and deal with than those guys. And of course, JA has to pony up. 

He hear you as far as being cautiously optimistic given the club’s track record.

However, just about all Free Agents come down to money as in the most money offered per year for the given length of the contract that they are looking for. If we are willing to swim in the deep end of the FA pool and pay what it cost, the player will be ours to sign. Let’s not over think it. At the end of the day, this is about maximizing earning potential like it is for almost all people in all walks of life and professions.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

He hear you as far as being cautiously optimistic given the club’s track record.

However, just about all Free Agents come down to money as in the most money offered per year for the given length of the contract that they are looking for. If we are willing to swim in the deep end of the FA pool and pay what it cost, the player will be ours to sign. Let’s not over think it. At the end of the day, this is about maximizing earning potential like it is for almost all people in all walks of life and professions.

Another thing that has hampered the O's in the past has been that they weren't willing to give out these aggressive opt-outs. That remains to be seen with the Elias regime. 

But I don't know if I agree that it's just about money. Sure, if the O's wildly overpay they will get their guy. But if they overpay a little bit, and the Astros are coming in with a little less, that player is going to the Astros almost certainly. 

On 11/16/2022 at 10:50 AM, Just Regular said:

Just saw this.   Bet part of return is bringing Jesse Winker home to Buffalo-Toronto metro area where he can watch pitches like Craig Biggio and help them with L/R balance.

Kind of a fun challenge trade to the extent Julio and Vlad's teams got a little rowdy with each other last month.

I believe Jesse Winker grew up in Orlando, Florida. I know he went to high school here anyway. Olympia HS, I believe.