Tony-OH

Who are the 2022 #3 and #4 prospects?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. # 3 Rodriguez and #4 Hall

• #3 Henderson and #4 Hall
    • #3 Holliday and #4 Hall
    • # 3 Holliday and #4 Basallo
    • # 3 Rodriguez and #4 Hall

Grayson at 2 over Holliday at 3 for proximity gap and range of outcomes.  
I’ve compared Grayson to Clemens and that still feels like a good comp.  I’ve got big (unreasonable ) expectations for him but I really think he’s got that type of talent.

Any one of our top 3 guys could be #1 in many systems.

I had Hall in the last batch. I really thought he should slip, but I don't think he should slip out of the top 10. Basallo taking such a leap also seems wrong. I think Hall has to be #4. 

I can't imagine Gunnar lower than 2. I could see Tony surprising us with Holliday at 2 if the scouts are bullish, but I am going with Holliday-Hall. 

Dropping Rodriguez to 3 would be absolutely nuts, IMO. People are dinging him way too much for a non-throwing arm injury that caused him to miss two months and not being quite as sharp when he came back. No reason to believe that is a long-term issue.

#1 and #2 have to be Henderson and GRod. Henderson has done nothing to drop him as low as #3, and Basallo is good, but not #4 in a loaded system good. I'd be shocked if #3 wasn't Holliday and I have a hard time putting Hall all the way down at #11. It pretty much has to be Holliday and Hall.

Edited by ChosenOne21
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Dropping Rodriguez to 3 would be absolutely nuts, IMO. People are dinging him way too much for a non-throwing arm injury that caused him to miss two months and not being quite as sharp when he came back. No reason to believe that is a long-term issue.

#1 and #2 have to be Henderson and GRod. Henderson has done nothing to drop him as low as #3, and Basallo is good, but not #4 in a loaded system good. I'd be shocked if #3 wasn't Holliday and I have a hard time putting Hall all the way down at #11. It pretty much has to be Holliday and Hall.

Too often people take things like this as a ding on another player when it fact it’s just liking the other player a little more. 

If you believe Holliday is a 7 WAR SS and GRod is a 6 WAR starting pitcher, it doesn’t mean you think GRod isn’t good. It just means you think Holliday is that good.

The Os could have 3 top 10 prospects. It likely won’t be ranked that way but it’s not some crazy thought.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Too often people take things like this as a ding on another player when it fact it’s just liking the other player a little more. 

If you believe Holliday is a 7 WAR SS and GRod is a 6 WAR starting pitcher, it doesn’t mean you think GRod isn’t good. It just means you think Holliday is that good.

The Os could have 3 top 10 prospects. It likely won’t be ranked that way but it’s not some crazy thought.

Sure, someone could believe Holliday is a 7 win SS and Rodriguez is a 6 win pitcher. But that's nearly pure speculation about Holliday (he'll almost certainly be good, but projecting 7 wins for a guy who barely got his feet wet in low A and didn't dominate is quite a hot take), whereas with Rodriguez we have years of data and he's producing in AAA. I think you have to value that increased certainty more than an (albeit good) lottery ticket.

2 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Sure, someone could believe Holliday is a 7 win SS and Rodriguez is a 6 win pitcher. But that's nearly pure speculation about Holliday (he'll almost certainly be good, but projecting 7 wins for a guy who barely got his feet wet in low A and didn't dominate is quite a hot take), whereas with Rodriguez we have years of data and he's producing in AAA. I think you have to value that increased certainty more than an (albeit good) lottery ticket.

I'd rate a 6 win bird in the hand over a 7 win bird in the bush.

3 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

That’s fine…but if that is your belief, that’s not dinging GRod.  It’s not putting him down or anything like that. It’s simply a belief in the talent of Holliday being higher than GRod’s talent.

Coming out of HS, Holliday is clearly the better talent.

Its all about projection.