Tools (current/future value)
Hit: 40/50
Game Power: 35/50
Raw Power: 50/55
Run: 60/55
Defense: 50/55

Most Likely Future Role: 1st Division outfielder
Ceiling: 1st Division Outfielder, occasional All-Star

What we know: Selected with the 33rd pick in the 1st round and signing for $2.2 million, Beavers is a five tool talent that has been considered a bit unorthodox in most things he does on the baseball field. Scouts were split a bit on him as an amateur due to some swing mechanics issues (drops his hands low and has a weird bat path at times) that some feel will need to be reworked in the minors. He slashed .291/.427/.634/1.060 with 17 HR and 18 doubles, 51 BB, and 54 K in 272 PAs in college.

He spent most of his pro debut at Delmarva where he lined seven doubles from gap to gap and put up a .359/.468/.531/.999 with 12 BBs and just 11 Ks in 77 PAs before getting four games in Aberdeen after Delmarva’s season was over. His 32.7% LD rate, .172 ISO, .464 WOBA and 178 wRC+ were all very impressive against Carolina League pitching.

Defensively he's probably going to have to move from center field due to his size (6-4, 206 as of his signing), but his arm plays enough that he could play RF and he has enough speed to cover spacious left field in Camden Yards. He runs well for a big kid and may steal some bases, but he won’t be a huge base stealer.

What we don’t know: Will he need that swing change when he hits upper level pitching? Will he be able to get to his plus raw power in games enough to make power a big part of his game or will he settle into more of a doubles high OBP guy? Defensively, while he can play CF, will he be better in the corners?

What we think: Beavers is certainly an intriguing player who was only available when the Orioles selected him because of that unorthodox swing and some concerns how that will play at the upper levels of the minor league and in the majors. He’s reportedly a high character, hard working player so if there are changes that need to be made, I’d imagine he will put in the work to make them work. He’ll probably start 2023 with Aberdeen, but a successful year would see him finish it in Bowie. There is some real upside here and he could be one of those players that could be much higher on this list next year.

• Upvote 1

Beavers acknowledged the swing work that needed to be done.  His projected draft position was all over the map pre-draft because of his swing.  I think I saw as high a 6th and well out of the first round in a few.  The O's invested like Buffett buying the fear in the market chasing the talent.  Players load different.  I'm of the belief that it doesn't matters what happens prior to the load or as part of the load process (hitch/no hitch) as long as they can get in a strong hitting position in time to keep the kinetic chain in line for the actual swing.  In an ideal world, less movement buys time and help with the swing path, but change can be tough.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Beavers acknowledged the swing work that needed to be done.  His projected draft position was all over the map pre-draft because of his swing.  I think I saw as high a 6th and well out of the first round in a few.  The O's invested like Buffett buying the fear in the market chasing the talent.  Players load different.  I'm of the belief that it doesn't matters what happens prior to the load or as part of the load process (hitch/no hitch) as long as they can get in a strong hitting position in time to keep the kinetic chain in line for the actual swing.  In an ideal world, less movement buys time and help with the swing path, but change can be tough.

I have to go back and look again but my looks at his college highlights and his AB’s in Delmarva showed a batter who looked completely different, in a good way.

16 minutes ago, owknows said:

Never really understood the tendency of "experts" to mess with the mechanics of a player who is very obviously successful with their unorthodox mechanics at every level in which they play.

Jake Arieta didn't understand it either.

Big difference between being successful with it against high school and college pitcher and being able to do it against the best in the world.

Usually if they mess with it, it’s because they don’t see you being able to be successful against the best.

Now, with that said, sometimes people just do things differently and can do it well.  Jim Furyk has one of the worst golf swings you will ever see but he will be in the World Golf HOF some day.  

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Big difference between being successful with it against high school and college pitcher and being able to do it against the best in the world.

Yeah... That's what they told Arieta. 😆

And to your point, I was thinking about Furyk too.

Objectively, it would seem better to leave a player alone until he proves consistently that his mechanics are a hindrance...